AM/FM antena in attic?

Old 06-14-06, 08:30 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AM/FM antena in attic?

Does anyone have this configuration at home?

I'd like to put an AM/FM antena either in the attic or on the roof, and either connect this to each radio in the house.

Old 06-14-06, 11:53 AM
I have seen people put antennas in the attic. Obviously putting it on the roof will provide the best results, but the attic could work ok. However, one website says: "... installing an antenna in the attic means an automatic reduction of signal strength by at least 45 to 50%."

I would try it out and see if you get good results. You may need to move it around until you get a good signal. If it doesn't work, go with the roof mount.

Old 06-15-06, 09:58 AM
F
Thanks, that answers settles one thing, it'll end up on the roof.

What is the easiest way to take advantage of the antena. I figure I have two options

1- set up the system in my utilities room and set 6 zones throughout the house and feed it through the speakers.

or
2- wire the antena to each room, and plug the antena into an actual radio in each spot(not sure how realistic this is).

Old 06-15-06, 07:20 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This I have not done myself but I have played around with things like this before.

First off whenever you use antenna's you want to be able to spin them because there is no such thing as a perfect antenna. There is lobes that come off the antenna that get the signal. This is why playing with the bunny ears in the old days got the tv station better you were playing with the directivity and lobe to make the antenna resonant right (tune it).

second is make sure your every thing is impedance matched(most critical of all things) most common antennas are 50ohm impedance, some are 75ohm so choose the correct impedance wire so your loads are matched.

If you have a long run you may also want to add a signal booster that is rated for the frequenies your are using the am/fm to help account for loses. And yes you will notice a dramatic increase in stations received and quality I have only talk to people who have done this. I never listen to the radio other than when I am in my car, but it was a big deal to these people to be able to get it at their house in the middle of know where.

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/terk/am-fm.asp

Also don't be afraid to call companies like terk for advice they will be very helpful especially since AM/FM is old school and mastered now days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: