Cut Stereo Wire

Old 08-19-06, 07:44 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cut Stereo Wire

My cat ate through my stereo speaker wire. How do I fix this? How do I splice the cut wire together? What tools will I need?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-06, 05:04 PM
B
You fix it like any type of wire. But, you need to make sure you don't mix up the positive and the negative wires, ie) what is positive from the stereo needs to remain positve to the speaker.

Old 08-25-06, 11:43 AM
S
cut wires

Heat shrink tubing works well and can be found at any electronics store (Radio shack) , just cut a piece of the tubing to the size of the break, slide it over one end of the wire , strip the wire with wire strippers or small knife (be carefull) and then twist the metal strands together, slide the tubing back over the break and heat with lighter till tubing shrinks around the strands. like bobf said make sure you put positive to positve

Old 08-25-06, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Also simple crimp splices work fine.

Old 10-16-06, 10:07 PM
G
Don't forget the solder!! Spliced wire without solder fails easily and loses lots of signal and will be especially noticable on higher-end systems. But, make sure you put the heat shrink tubing on the wire before you solder it together or you'll have to use electrical tape instead (the tubing looks a lot nicer and doesn't get gooey or come off)

Also, don't forget to take care of the source of the problem, not just the symptom ... get a good squirt bottle to squirt the cat next time it gets near the cable! :P hehe