Turntable Ground

Old 08-29-06, 06:32 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turntable Ground

In a previous life I had a component stereo system, and now only retained a Dual turntable that has a ground wire attached to the RCA plugs which I used to connect to a little grounding screw on the metal case of a receiver. Now I just have a new little mini system (all plastic) and have not attached the ground wire to anything. I am getting a hum when I try to record off the turntable.

What is the difference between a ground wire and just plugging everything into a surge protector with all 3-prong plugs (which I've done)? Assuming the hum IS coming from the ungrounded turntable, any easy solution?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-06, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Try attaching the ground wire from the turntable to the screw on the outlet plate...(presuming your electrical box is grounded...)

Old 08-30-06, 04:32 PM
D
Don't know if the outlet is grounded or not. The ground wire is only about 6" long, and would be pretty awkward even if an extension could be attached.

What does a ground wire do that a surge protector does not?

Old 09-01-06, 04:30 AM
V
ground v surge protector

The ground in this instance is meant to shunt away induced ac (power line hum) currents in the audio wiring.

The surge protector eliminates destructive spurious transients appearing over the ac line. Transients are generated, e.g., by machinery sharing the same power system or originating out in the power lines, as during storms, dimouts, etc. The SP contains a sophisticated electronic circuit that responds to destructive spikes that could harm if not destroy the relatively sensitive equipment involved.

Old 09-01-06, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
donnadiy,

If your mini stereo is of a recent vintage you will need a phono pre-amplifier.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2430293&cp=&pg=5&origkw=turntable&kw=turntable&parentPage=search

Old 09-01-06, 08:51 PM
D
Volts/GregH

Thanks for responding. I have a pre-amp and can connect the turntable to the stereo successfully. I also have another device that allows me to connect the turntable to my computer and record to CD. Both of these connections are working, it's just the hum that's offensive. So the ground wire and the surge protector don't do the same thing....is it possible to "add on"/extend the ground wire on the RCA cables so that it will reach the outlet screw? If so, what kind of wire?

Old 09-02-06, 09:15 AM
T
Are the turntable and the system connected to the same surge protector or to different ones?? Have you tried removing the surge protector?

Old 09-05-06, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
....is it possible to "add on"/extend the ground wire on the RCA cables so that it will reach the outlet screw? If so, what kind of wire?
Sure.. Id try that. Why not!?.
Usually thats a solid wire (vs braided)..so just find something similar to the existing ground.

Old 09-19-06, 03:36 PM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you have a preamp that is intended for a turntable it should have a ground screw. If not and you're using a mic. preamp or something else you don't have the RIAA curve that all phono preamps have. This will effect the sound.