Getting Hd Soon!! Cable Opinion's!!

Old 10-08-06, 06:36 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Getting Hd Soon!! Cable Opinion's!!

Well today I just called direct tv who I have now and have been w/ them for a yr now. I told them I talked to dish last night and said that I will be switching to their service if they can't match dish's offer which was an HD reciever in the living room, DVR in the bedroom and 2 other standard recievers for FREE! Thought it was a good deal until today when I called Direct!! When I told the operator this she was hold on let me transfer you! The next lady I talked to was just as nice as could be!! They upgraded my current equipment to a HD-DVR in the living room and then I can move my current DVR to the bedroom and the other 2 rooms will stay the same. The HD-DVR reciever is a 200 dollar upgrade i got for free! They honored a 100 dollar rebate that they have now as an offer and then since I have been w/ them for a yr they gave me another 100 dollar rebate plus 4 months of HD programming (9.99/mo) for free. Anyone looking for an upgrade call and threaten to go to Dish!!
Anyway, sorry I had to share that, what kinda cable should I upgrade when I get this unit on the 28th?? Or are the cables that come w/ the reciever good enough?? I have a 42" Samsung DLP Rear proj. tv that I just bought 10 months ago.
Thanks

Old 10-08-06, 07:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The cables usually provided with the box are basic. For best clarity, get yourself some Monster Cable Component cables. It's well worth the money.

Old 10-09-06, 12:36 PM
J
Don't waste your money on Monster brand cables. WAY overpriced. Do a google search for "mono price" and you'll find a website that sells equal quality for much less.

At the least you should be using DVI if both your receiver and TV accept it. If both have HDMI, use that.

Old 10-09-06, 02:09 PM
I got the best pair of Monster Cable for $35. Thats not expensive. It's probably the best cable I've had, and I've had multiple brands.

Old 10-10-06, 09:46 AM
J
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
I got the best pair of Monster Cable for $35. Thats not expensive. It's probably the best cable I've had, and I've had multiple brands.
$35 for a set of component cables is INSANE.

Don't fall for the gold plated and super-shielded hype. Any quality cable is just as equal.

Old 10-10-06, 03:52 PM
I beg to differ. It has been scientifically proven that gold conducts current ALOT better then most metals. I've had standard component cable that was not gold plated and picture was degraded. I'm very picky when it comes to quality. And $35 is not "INSANE". If you want quality, you have to pay for it. You get what you pay for. Also, shielding is exteremely important if you got speakers and amps near by. Lack of shielding will result in noise in the line.

Old 10-10-06, 06:15 PM
B
I'm always amazed at the number of people that spend $2-3K (or more) on a TV and yet won't spend an extra 15 bucks on good cables to get the best possible picture.
To each his own.

Old 10-11-06, 04:59 AM
I am with "bob and Hot" on this one. I spent almost 2k on my tv and right before I checked out the sales guy asked if I needed component cables for my dvd player. I have a sony 6 disc and I bought MONSTER! If you think 35 dollars is bad, I spent around 75 for the medium/high end 6ft cables. I figured I just spent 2k what is 75 dollars more!! LOL I probably could have found them on ebay but I didn't wanna wait for them.
I do have an HDMI input on the back of my tv (samsung 42"DLP HD). I do wanna upgrade from the one I get from direct tv. So you suggest Moster for that also?! I would only need a 3' cable. Thanks!!

Old 10-11-06, 06:43 AM
T
If you want good quality cables at a reasonable price go to monoprice. But to be honest, for a short HDMI cable you could use almost any manufacturer.

Old 10-11-06, 01:00 PM
Monster cables are a ripoff no matter what the price.
Other mfgs make gold plated cable ends at half the price (or less).
I had a customer last week who spent 250 bucks for 2 Monster HDMI cables. I had him take them back. He found some quality Phillips cables at walmart for much, much less.

diyplank,
obviously you got a good deal from Direct.
only advantage to direct is the Sunday ticket.

But Dish has the most HD channels THIRTY!!!!!
fred

Old 10-13-06, 06:26 AM
On thier website they have list 26 channels for 9.99 a month. They said that soon they will be adding about nine more channels which would be 35 for 9.99/mo. Don't know if you can trust those sales people!! HA HA I do know that monster is over priced but they are the only cables I have for my tv connections. I even replaced the original RCA's that came w/ my current direct tv set up. I don't think anyone could ever tell a difference between crappy and monster (or other manufac.)Well thanks for all the opinions and help!!

Old 10-13-06, 02:09 PM
Re: monster cables

Years back, a well know audiophile magazine did a review comparing "monster" cables (and their like) to basic cheap cables and wiring. There was NO discernable difference between the two. NONE.

Copper is copper and the timings aren't so critical that you need gold contacts. You think the tracings in your A/V electronics are gold? Think again.

I've seen Monster cables for iPods.. iPods! Talk about a waste of money...

Old 10-13-06, 03:56 PM
BAH! How do you explain that I got worse clarity with the "generic" component cables then my current Monster cables if there are no differences!?!?! To the novice, you probably won't see a big difference, but I can.

Old 10-14-06, 07:00 AM
T
HotinOKC: Your opinion isn't supported by the testing that has been done. For long cables, cable quality is very important but you can buy very high quality cables from several suppliers at much lower prices than Monster. IMHO Monster is a triumph of marketing over technology (like Terk antennas).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: