Help with component hookup

Old 11-01-06, 03:41 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with component hookup

I need your help with the wiring scheme for hooking up my components. It's dizzying trying to get it all straight.

Here is what I have:
1. Mitsubishi projection TV - HD ready
2. Motorola HD cable box
3. Phillips DVD
4. Sony A/V Receiver

What I want to be able to do is hookup up the components in such a way that it allows me the option of running either the cable or the DVD with and without the surround sound system. I want the option of driving the audio only through the Television so both the cable and the DVD will require multiple hookups - to the TV and to/through the A/V receiver.

I hope you can help. Please let me know what additional details I can provide.

Old 11-01-06, 07:11 AM
It all depends on what input/output options each of your components offer.

Assuming that...
1. Your TV has at least 1 component video input and 2 RCA inputs
2. Your cable box has at least 1 RCA output, 1 component video output, and 1 optical audio output
3. Your receiver has at least 2 component video inputs, 2 optical audio inputs, 1 composite video output.
4. Your DVD player has at least 1 RCA output, 1 component video output, and 1 optical audio output.

You could....

1. Attach the coaxial cable from the cable company to the cable box.
2. Attach the component video output from the cable box to one of the component videos input on the receiver.
3. Attach the optical audio output from the cable box to the optical audio input on the receiver that is associated with the component video input from the previous step.
4. Attach the RCA output from the cable box to one of the RCA inputs on the TV.
5. Attach the component video output from the DVD player to one of the component video inputs on the receiver.
6. Attach the optical audio output from the DVD player to the optical audio input on the receiver that is associated with the component video input from the previous step.
7. Attach the RCA output from the DVD player to one of the RCA inputs on your TV.
8. Attach the component video output from your receiver to the component video input on your TV.

I believe this will produce the outcome that you desire, but I can't be sure. It all depends on what options your components have.

Last edited by kchinth; 11-02-06 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-01-06, 07:28 AM
B
I will print out your directions and give this a try. I'll report back in the next day on the results. Thanks!

Old 11-01-06, 04:47 PM
B
I have the component diagrams of the back panels

If someone is willing to look at them. I have them in a single MS Word document - TV, Cable, DVD and A/V Receiver.

Old 11-02-06, 04:39 AM
B
Why would you not want to run the DVD sound thru the surround sound?

Have you tried hooking it up yourself yet? What problems have you run into? Details please.

To do what you want, just duplicate the A/V connections on both the receiver and TV.

Old 11-02-06, 05:29 AM
B
We want the option of running the DVD through the TV for simple viewing of movies. Sometimes we just don't want the whole surround sound thing.

I have tried hooking it up and it can be a hit or miss proposition. It was working ok but then we completely dismantled the room down to the studs. Now I'm back to square one and wanted to do it more right.

Old 11-02-06, 07:55 AM
After looking at your receiver, cable box, and dvd player, I see that they don't support component video output/input. Therefore, the method that I mentioned will not work. Once I receive your email with the details of the TV, I can try to find another method.

Old 11-03-06, 09:24 AM
B
KCINTH is such a huge help!

He came up with a wiring scheme that is right on the money. He showed me how to better take advantage of the features available on my components. I'm now using s-video and optical for audio between the cable, dvd and av receiver. I'm using the component connections for the tv to dvd and cable. Now I can enjoy viewing with options. Thank you, thank you for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: