DVD Recorder Questions

Old 12-04-06, 12:58 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DVD Recorder Questions

I am in the market for a DVD recorder. I have several VHS & 8mm tapes to be copied to DVD. All my tapes have several different videos on them. If i buy a dvd recorder with a hard drive can i edit these tapes and organize the videos before i copy them to DVD. Any recomendations on DVD recorders would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-06, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only recommendation would be to tranfer all these tapes to a DVD and then take that DVD and edit that onto a new one.

Old 12-05-06, 04:56 AM
N
What is the purpose of the hard drive in some of the recorders i've seen.

Old 12-05-06, 07:27 AM
S
The Hard Drive is usually there to temporarily store or to use as a buffer. If the main purpose for what you are doing is to convert old analog tapes to DVD AND organize them, maybe you should consider a DVD-RW drive on your computer. They usually come with decent, easy-to-learn, software such as Nero that will enable you to edit your video, create menus, and chapters. I recently got one and created and edited a few wedding videos for friends. It was very easy and fun to do.

Not sure if it is right for you, but just thought I'd share.

Old 12-05-06, 09:45 AM
N
If i went the computer route where do i plug the vcr or camcorder in on the pc. My pc has a DVD burner on it, i'm just not real computer literate.

Old 12-05-06, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Unless your video card has the proper inputs, you'll need a video capture card. The vcr cables connect there and you use a video editing program such as Nero that was mentioned to capture, edit, add titles and menus, and burn to dvd. It's really not as daunting as it sounds, although it is a little labor and time intensive. I made the leap when i priced the commercial companies prices for doing the conversion$$$. If you Google "VHS to DVD conversion" you'll get a ton of information.