Blue Screen on Toshiba TV

Old 12-05-06, 06:30 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blue Screen on Toshiba TV

I have regular (not HDTV) Toshiba tv, I think it's 35". It's 2 yrs old. A couple of times when I turned it on lately the picture was kind of wacky for just a second or two as it came on. Then this morning when I turned it on the screen was almost completely blue, the sound was fine, and I could see just a bit of the picture coming through in one small part of the screen. After about 10 seconds it came on normally.

Any idea what this could be? Is it just going to keep getting worse until it stays blue permanently? Is it going to be expensive to get it fixed?

Thanks much,
Harold

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-06, 04:00 AM
H
Bumpity bump.

Old 12-07-06, 08:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's probably a color convergence issue. Televisions can be pretty expensive to repair. Once this convergence starts to go, there's no stopping it. I know just to have a repair guy come out to my house, it was $100. I suggestion calling a tv repair guy, or bring the TV in to Circuit City type places for a estimate.

Old 12-07-06, 01:26 PM
H
This tv weighs a ton, so any repair will have to be done here. (More expensive, I'm sure.) Could you explain a little about what "color convergence" means? I googled but couldn't find a clear explanation. What exactly is going wrong? This tv is only 2 yrs old.

Thanks for the reply,
Harold

Old 12-07-06, 04:44 PM
The convergence is really for projections, sorry, I misread your oringial post. Since you have a CRT television, it could be a few things.

1. You may need to degause (might be able to borrow one from a repair guy??)

2. A bad CRT circuit which is allowing only the "blue" gun to work.

3. CRT board

There are 3 "guns" in television, red, green, and blue.

Televisions can be hard to diagnose without being there to test components.

Call a pro and just ask him over the phone what the problem could be. Then take that information and google a how-to. If you are handy with a soldering iron, and know the fundamentals of electricity, you may be able to fix it without braking the bank.

Old 12-07-06, 04:46 PM
And to anwer your other question about convergence.

It's a circuit board with amps, etc that control the color output and gun positioning. Alot of people with big screens, like myself, will have to be repair for these problems.

Usually any TV with a bow tie effect, blurred/duplicated picture with different colors is convergence issue.

Old 12-08-06, 10:18 AM
S
Blue Screen

If your screen is blue, it could be something even simpler. Do you have a VCR connected? Or some other device, like a camcorder or some DVD players?

Try turning them all off. Is you TV sound coming from the TV or a reciever that you have hooked up?

Probably not any of these things, but I like to look at the simple possibilities first. You could try connecting the coaxial cable from the wall directly to your TV set so that it bypasses everything. If you get a picture, then you have eliminated the TV as the problem and you can start trying to figure out the culprit. If it does the same thing, then you know, at least, that it is the TV. You can try resetting the TV to its factory defaults. There should be an option in a menu somewhere to do that.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-06, 01:45 AM
H
Thanks for the info and suggestions. I'm pretty sure it's the tv, when I cycled thru the other inputs (dvd, vcr) the screen stayed blue. I shall try it w/them turned off, and then with the cable connected right to the tv. Right now it's very intermittent (only happened twice) so it's hard to catch it.

Thanks,
Harold

Old 12-14-06, 12:24 PM
S
Originally Posted by hcour View Post
I have regular (not HDTV) Toshiba tv, I think it's 35". It's 2 yrs old. A couple of times when I turned it on lately the picture was kind of wacky for just a second or two as it came on. Then this morning when I turned it on the screen was almost completely blue, the sound was fine, and I could see just a bit of the picture coming through in one small part of the screen. After about 10 seconds it came on normally.

Any idea what this could be? Is it just going to keep getting worse until it stays blue permanently? Is it going to be expensive to get it fixed?

Thanks much,
Harold
Solid blue? Sounds like you need to retune the TV. I've come across a number of TVs (including my Toshiba) that will display a blue screen if they're not getting an adequate signal.

Old 12-18-06, 02:44 AM
H
Hi. Well, mostly solid, I can see a bit of the picture coming thru at the bottom left-hand corner. I also have sound. Also, this is very intermittent and only happens when I first turn it on for about 20-30 seconds, it's happened 3 times in the last two weeks.

What do you mean by "re-tune"?

Thanks,
Harold