Device improves DVDs to HD-DVD quality

Old 01-31-07, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Device improves DVDs to HD-DVD quality

I was listening to the Wall Street Journal radio show the other day. Their tech expert was talking about HD-DVD vs BluRay. (He said HD-DVD was better.)
He said that there's a device that will make DVDs picture quality almost as good as HD-DVDs. This is good news for people like me who like great picture quality and have a lot of DVDs.
Does anybody know anything about this device? Websites to read, etc?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-07, 07:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I find that hard to believe. Normal HD-DVD or DVD's only produce maximum resolution of 1080i and 720p whereas BluRay produces 1080i and 1080P. BluRay has about 5x's the clarity of normal HD and DVD's.

Old 01-31-07, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What he may have been referring to was a DVD player with UPCONVERT technology. This type of DVD player upconverts a standard DVD's resolution to near HD quality.

You can find upconverting DVD players from mainstream manufacturers for just a bit more money than a regular DVD player.

Old 01-31-07, 08:23 PM
Now I'm really interested in getting a upconvert DVD player. Do I need to get a HDMI cable for the best picture?
My Zenith HDTV moniter is two years old. Will that give me the best picture available? Thanks.

Old 02-01-07, 04:35 AM
My sons X-Box 360 does just that. You can see a difference in quality.

Old 02-01-07, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcritchie View Post
Now I'm really interested in getting a upconvert DVD player. Do I need to get a HDMI cable for the best picture?
My Zenith HDTV moniter is two years old. Will that give me the best picture available? Thanks.
I'm not sure what cable you will need, but I'm guessing you will need a HDMI cable. But to answer your other question, YES, using an upconvert DVD player with your HD TV will give you the best picture quality using standard DVD's. Of course, if you want the best picture available, you'd need either a Blu Ray or HD DVD player, which costs a lot more than regular DVD players, and you'd also need to buy the special Blu Ray or HD DVD's for them.

Old 02-01-07, 06:04 PM
You can use HDMI or Component cable. To the layman, you will probably not notice a difference, but if you are as picky as I, you will want the HDMI. You can get them a lot cheaper at monocable.com

I've had both, HDMI and component, and there really isn't that big of a difference.

Old 02-01-07, 08:47 PM
My HDTV moniter has only two digital inputs. Component and HD-RGB. Are there HDMI to HD-RGB adapters? If so, is the picture quality the same as HDMI?

Old 02-02-07, 02:53 AM
Oops. I should have thought.
Are there any upconvert DVD players with HD-RGB outputs out there? If so, how does the picture quality compare to HDMi?

Old 02-02-07, 09:27 AM
To hotinOKC,
So if I connect an upconvert DVD player using component cable instead of HTMi cable, there won't be that much difference in picture quality?

Old 02-02-07, 12:20 PM
No, you will most likely not see any difference.

Old 02-02-07, 11:02 PM
Great. I'll get one. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Old 02-04-07, 08:49 AM
Upconversion does not improve picture quality. there are only 480 lines on a standard DVD, that is the max resolution. The DVD players with upconversion double and triple the lines from the DVD. so if you take a 480i signal at make 1080 out of it you need to double all the lines and triple some of them. so some pixels, dots on the screen are twice as big, and some are 3x as large. The only thing that upconversion does is take the calculation away from the TV and sends the TV it's native resolution. So, if the processor in the DVD is better than the TV, you'll percieve a better picture, but if the TV is better than the DVD it will look worse. Because ALL Lcds, Plasmas, DLP, and LCOS are Fixed Pixel displays they need to convert Every signal to their native resolution which is either 720p, 768p, 1080i (which is a double 540p), or 1080p. There is no added information with upconversion, the only system that makes new information is Pixel Entrapolation.

Old 02-05-07, 10:31 AM
I have a Samsung VR-325 DVD-VHS player/recorder that up converts.. It came with the HDMI cable.. Saved a bunch of money that way.. Plugs right into my Sony KD-34xbr960 Trinitron CRT TV.. Great picture..

Old 02-08-07, 07:48 AM
As LifeAsASuffix says, regular DVD players are 480i or 480p (progressive). Upconverting DVD players take the 480 lines and upconvert to 720p or 1080i by either just duplicating pixels or filling in the extra pixels using a "guess" as to what those extra pixels will be. This gives the impression of a more detailed picture, but there really isn't any more detail so it is not the same as a true high definition DVD. You can get the same effect by using the upconversion built into most digital TVs, but many people find that the upconversion in their DVD player is better than using the TV to do it. Hi-end video processing systems do an even better job.

Many upconverting DVD players will only output their full resolution over HDMI; nothing to do with the quality of HDMI versus the quality of component video, its because HDMI has the HDCP copy-protection built into it.

Resolution and interlacing/deinterlacing are complex issues and trying to answer the question which resolution(s) are best for your system is very difficult. The best basic principle is to do the least number of conversions possible. Don't upconvert to 1080i and then have your TV downconvert again. Don't upconvert/interlace a 480p signal to 1080i and then deinterlace it again to 720p. But the only way to know for sure is to try the various options and see what looks best for you.