tv antenna

Old 02-06-07, 06:43 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tv antenna

What is the best reception antenna I can buy to put possibly in my attic so it won't be seen?We live in a highly wooded area.I don't want one in the room that I have to look at it.Do they sell ones that are small enough that I can hide it close by instead of running wire all the way down from the attic?It will be used for local tv stations only.We have one on the roof now(probably 30 yrs old) that is so big and an eye sore.It picks up all the stations locally.Someone once told me I could put that in the attic,but I think I could probably buy a better one than using that old thing.Do the walls in a house or attic interfer much with reception?I am just trying to figure out what options I have and choose the one that will be less of an eye sore.We will also probably be converting to an lcd soon.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-07-07, 07:33 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I live in a neighborhood that prohibits outdoor TV antennas, so I have some experience with attic mount TV antenneas. Yes, putting the antenna in the attic will reduce reception quality somewhat, due to the fact the antenna will be lower to the ground, and there is also some attentuation of the signal due to the roof structure. I would recommend buying an antenna at least one notch better than you already have.

Radio Shack used to have the best selection of TV antennas.......I say "used to" only because I haven't shopped for an antenna for several years. It depends on how far you are from the TV stations and how many TV's you want to feed off the antenna. Radio Shack also carried many speciality antennas besides the traditional VHF/UHF ones.

You do realize that in less than two years, your reception of VHF signals will come to an end, and you will need an antenna which is capable of receiving digital signals, which are broadcast on the UHF band?

Old 02-07-07, 07:43 AM
M
I did not realize that the signal was changing.Will that mean we will have to get cable or sattelite tv?I used to have it,but with small kids and a house full of things to do,I found myself not watching it.It came to be a waste of money.

Old 02-07-07, 11:09 AM
Yes, in January of 2009, the government has ordered all TV stations to switch over to digital broadcasting and cease analog broadcasts. So if you're on an antenna and do not have one of the new TV's with a digital tuner (ATSC), all you will get is snow.

There will be converters out there that will permit older analog TV's to receive digital signals, but you will need an antenna capable of receiving digital signals, which are broadcast on the UHF band.

I've found from experience that UHF signals don't have as long a range as VHF signals, so if you're living a long ways from the transmitters and are currently watching primarily VHF stations, you might have a reception problem when everything converts over to digital.

If you're considering a new LCD TV or plasma, and want to stay with an antenna, rather than cable or satellite, make sure your new TV has a built in digital tuner (ATSC). Most sets over 27" or so should already.

Old 02-07-07, 12:34 PM
L
TERK makes attic antennas that are powered to help compensate for being in the attic. they work rather well, in most situations. I think you can still pick them up from your local Home Improvement store. ie. Lowes.

Old 02-08-07, 07:22 AM
T
FYI the Terk antennas are usually very overpriced for what they are...

The only way to answer this question is to know exactly where you are located - this will tell us what stations are close to you, whether they are VHF or UHF, what frequency band the digital stations are using, what is the effect of terrain etc etc. Post back with your zip code and I will give you some recommendations.....

Old 02-08-07, 07:15 PM
Or, go to antennaweb.org and punch in your street address. This will give you an idea of type antenna needed and direction to your tv towers..

as info, MOST digital and HD broadcast stations are on the UHF band but there are still many around the country that will be VHF (2 thru 13).
We tell our satelite customers to get a VHF/UHF combo antenna in our area as PBS here is on VHF ch 3(with two HD feeds). And there is no such thing as a Digital antenna as printed on some antenna boxes. It's just "marketing". They are simply old VHF/UHF antennas that happen to work for digital/HD.

Couple other things. NO community can prevent you from putting up an outside antenna on your own house for tv reception. And putting an antenna in an attic will basically reduce the reception by as much as 30 to 40 percent.
if you are twenty to thirty or more miles from your TV towers, an antenna pre-amp at the antenna will help quite a bit.

fred

Old 02-09-07, 09:05 AM
M
Our zip is 44264.Do the tv's that are already capable for uhf have a internal antenna?If not, will it be connected through coax cable?The reason is that I have a wall tore apart and 50 ft of coax that I am wondering if I should run now or wait.We want to eventually mount a lcd or hdtv on the wall that I would run the cable to.Should I run the coax?

Old 02-09-07, 10:53 AM
M
I'd run the cable

You already have the wall opened up, it just makes sense to me.

Old 02-09-07, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by fewalt
Couple other things. NO community can prevent you from putting up an outside antenna on your own house for tv reception. And putting an antenna in an attic will basically reduce the reception by as much as 30 to 40 percent.
fred
I beg to differ. In my community, you cannot have outdoor antennas of any type, outdoor clothes lines, outdoor storage buildings, etc. Also cannot have boats or campers stored on the property unless they are inside the garage out of view of the public. I chose to live here, as I hate seeing outdoor antennas, satellite dishes, and the other "clutter" that bring down property values.

Old 02-09-07, 02:38 PM
Beachboy,

I'm SORRY, you are wrong about antennas!!!!
Do some research about antennas at the FCC site.
A homeowner association can make it difficult for you, but they cannot prevent you from putting up an antenna. Period!!!

fred

Old 02-09-07, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by marley458
Our zip is 44264.Do the tv's that are already capable for uhf have a internal antenna?If not, will it be connected through coax cable?The reason is that I have a wall tore apart and 50 ft of coax that I am wondering if I should run now or wait.We want to eventually mount a lcd or hdtv on the wall that I would run the cable to.Should I run the coax?
If you are going to mount an HDTV on the wall the coax will suffice for an outside OTA antenna. However, for Cable or Satelite HD you will most likely need an HDMI or Component cable and audio cables from cable/sat receiver to flat screen. Thus, you need to do some serious planning while the wall is open.

fred

Old 02-11-07, 06:52 AM
M
i WILL DEFINETLY USE AN ANTENNA EITHER OUTDOORS OR IN.WHAT IS AN OTA ANTENNA?I HAVE NO USE FOR CABLE NOW OR SATTELITE TV DUE TO THE NEVER ENDING PROJECTS AROUND THE HOUSE AND RAISING KIDS.WILL I BE SAFE TO SAY THAT I CAN RUN THE COAX AND USE THE OTA ANTENNA INDOORS?THE REASON FOR THE INDOORS IS BECAUSE OUR CHIMNEY SWEEP SAID THAT THE MOUNTING OF THE ANTENNA(STRAPPED) ON OUR CHIMNEY IS HELPING TO DETERIORATE THE BRICK.LET ME ASK THIS...IS THERE OUTDOOR ANTENNAS THAT ARE SMALL AND NOT SO OBVIOUS?THE ONE WE HAVE NOW IS ABOUT 3 FEET TALL BY3 FEET OR MORE WIDE.

Old 02-11-07, 12:56 PM
OTA = Over The Air, which is vhf/uhf.

Since you've got a vhf/uhf antenna up there now - give it a try.
Your chimney sweep don't know squat. Your chimney isn't giong anywhere.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: