Cable signal strength

Old 02-08-07, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cable signal strength

I have an extremely long run of cable from the street to my house. The cable company installed it about 20 years ago and signal strength seemed OK but never great. We have had a few probems in the past few years and they repaired them back to the original strength. One repairman said they should have run a different type of cable back originally but that they would not replace what is there for any reason now. In the last couple of weeks the cable signal is so poor that some channels won't even be in color. I called the company twice and they left a note on my door saying that they checked the signal strength outside the house and it was fine. I ordered a 1X8 distribution amplifier and put it in place of two splitters I had and it made no difference at all. Every TV is the same (6 of them) and and every channel is the same. I have a satellite box in one room and it seems that a signal from over 20,000 miles is 100 times clearer that one from the next town. Can anyone tell me how I can actually find out what the strength of the signal is outside my house or how to proceed with a repair other than to ditch the cable and get satellite for all TVs? Sorry for the long post but I want to answer questions before you have to ask.

Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-07, 06:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You call back the cable company and have them replace the line. They are just being lazy. It may take a few phone calls of complaining, but they will do it. They also need to take into account the rest of the cable run from when it enters the house to the outlets.

I pay $3.95/month for cable insurance, so if any cable in my house is bad, they will replace.

This cable is extremely old. That distro box is useless if the signal going into it is to deteriorated.

Old 02-08-07, 07:38 PM
I agree with Mark, you should call the cable company.

If you insist on checking for yourself take a tv out to the demarc and connect directly to the incomming cable. this will tell you if the problem is in your house or from the cable company.

Old 02-09-07, 06:50 AM
"If you insist on checking for yourself take a tv out to the demarc and connect directly to the incomming cable. this will tell you if the problem is in your house or from the cable company."

I agree.

6 TV's is a lot. Depending on how you have it set it up, that could be the issue. Do all the TVs have a bad signal, or only some?

Old 02-09-07, 12:42 PM
All TVs were acceptable with 2 splitters and then they all went bad. I bought an adjustable 1 in 8 out distribution amplifier and it made no difference at all. Obviously without the power supply plugged into the amp, I have no signal at all but when it is powered, the signal is no different than with the splitters in line. I may try to take a TV out to the grounding block and connect it there just to see if there is any difference. I already replaced my cable from the grounding block to the amplifier with RG-6 because it was old and that did not change anything. Is there any possibility that something inside the house could cause a problem? I don't know what it would be but there is a lot of electronic stuff in my house. I wish there was an inexpensive signal strength tester so I could see for myself exactly what the level was outside my house.

Ken

Old 02-09-07, 12:59 PM
This is obvious, but you can tell if having 6 TVs connected is the issue by simply removing the splitter and running the main line to one TV. At least then you know the other TVs are not drawing any signal. As you said, if you can get a TV to the demarc point and check it there, that would be ideal.