Running cable

Old 02-28-07, 02:52 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running cable

I have wall mounted a plasma tv and have installed an outlet behind the tv, with a monster power surge protector. I now plan to run the cable and component, s-video, etc down through the wall into the basement and back up into the same room, further down the wall where the storage cabinet will be for the receiver, dvd. My quiestion is this, is it ok to run these cable back up through the heating duct, as the register sits right behind the storage cabinet. This would save me from having to try and run the cables back up the wall and creating additional outlets. Is this against any type of code? Are there any possible problems doing it this way? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-07, 05:16 PM
U
"Is this against any type of code?"

This is against all kinds of codes unless you have plenum rated wires, which most premade cables are not. The reason for this is that when wires burn, the jacket that is around the wires puts off toxic fumes that if ran in the duct work would spread these fumes throughout the home.

I would highly recommend just running it into the wall.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-07, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Run them in the walls, but not against an existing power cable.

Old 02-28-07, 06:13 PM
M
thanks guys. i may run it up the wall or I may just try and figure out some sort of infrared set up and leave my components in the basement right underneath, which opens up another can of worms. Any suggestions on where to find good step by step instructions or systems which would work best. thanks