Today's stereos

Old 03-22-07, 02:55 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Today's stereos

Hi I have an old model boombox and came to the conclusion that its time to buy a new stereo. My peice is hella old to. Its 7 years old to be exact and... it has a cassette player. I was wondering how are stereos now-a-days. Does the radio still fuzz and get all staticy. On this pile its always a little fuzzy. How do you think sound quality will be on a 2007 stereo compared to a 1999 stereo ?

Old 03-22-07, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Sort of a get what you pay for thing. Last summer my wife bought a cheapo set to put out on the pool deck (in a protected cabinet) so we can have tunes out there. Well, we can get basically one FM station (the closest). Everything else is fuzz, even the fairly high-powered stations. Speakers are pretty worthless, but I connected to a better pair we already had. To get a fairly decent unit I think you should be looking at the stuff in the $150-200 range and watch the total watts or watts per channel. You'll see the cheapo stuff will be something like 10 watts per channel or some other ridiculously low number and the sound quality will be crappy when you turn the volume up much higher tha a whisper. If the display models can bring in a signal at all from inside the store, you should have no problems, but try several models in your price range and see how they differ.

Old 03-22-07, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If radio reception is important to you get a reciever that has antenna connections.
The biggest problem is with reception is usually FM but an antenna will pull in a weak station.

Old 03-23-07, 02:11 PM
B
You might consider an HD radio.

Old 03-25-07, 11:26 AM
A
Cool Thank You

Yeah thanks for the advice. Im sad to hear that the radio is sill fuzzy. Ill look into those HD radios you speak of but most of those are for cars arent they ? I wouldn't know I have a Cassette Player.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: