Ipod choices?

Old 04-05-07, 06:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ipod choices?

My mother asked me for a recommendation for an Ipod she wants to get someone as she knows absolutely nothing about them. The problem is, neither do I. I guess we're both still living in the stone age.

Can anyone help?

Dan

Old 04-10-07, 02:42 PM
C
Does it need to be an Apple iPod (which there are currently three basic choices, Video, Nano, Shuffle, in various capacities and finishes. The Video being HDD, Nano is flash with color display, Shuffle is also flash, but no display.

Or can it be a generic MP3 player, most of which are flash based. Some play video and photos, some audio only.
There are some decent brands. I'd caution you to stay from generic Chinese vendors and dubious selleras, unless you kow the risks.

*HDD= Hard disk drive. Moving parts, susceptible to shock, larger size, but much larger capacity, cheaper, and infinitely re-writable, for the size, and players that use HDDs often have more features than Flash based players.

*Flash= solid state memory chips. More durable in use, but have limited read-write cycles. Some Flash players can be expanded with memory cards. No Apple player can though.

Most players nowadays use built in Li-ion batteris, so charge from USB and/or a wall charger. Some generic Flash players may work off of AAA cells.

Another concern would be DRM, as in what services, if any, will be used to purchase music. You will have to purchase a player compatible with the DRM that that service. For most players, they have no DRM, are compatible with PlaysForSure services, or is an Apple player compatible with the iTunes store.

Software:

Most generic Flash players use drag and drop to load content on them. Apple players require you to use the iTunes software to load you songs.

There is a 3rd sort of MP3 player that looks like a portable CD player, and that works by buring your MP3s to a CDR where the player plays it, and that player can also play normal CDs. Some might even be able to play from a DVD-R of MP3s.

Old 04-13-07, 09:14 PM
S
I have the nano and it's great. It's smaller than a credit card and very light. The capacity varies depending upon the amount of songs you want to store.

you can get 2gb, 4gb, or 8gb. I have the 2 gb and it holds about 250-300 songs (more than enough for me)

Old 04-13-07, 10:01 PM
Thanks...

...for the replies.

I heard very good things about the Nano from a lot of people. That's what we went with. In 2 gig size. Big enough.

Old 04-15-07, 06:06 AM
M
Sansa

I came out of the stone age and went high tech bought a sansa e250. I love it. It is 2 GB but I also put in a 2GB chip. It has a fm radio, picture storage and other stuff I dont use.
I use it with a set of Bose headphones and tune out the world with my classic rock songs.
Another cool thing is with some adaptors you can use it in the car. I see the future of CDS as dim as everything will be replaced with a computer chip device.

I bet pretty soon movies from blockbuster will be on a chip like a flash drive.

Old 04-17-07, 04:38 PM
C
You won't find very much content sold on solid-state memory any time soon, as it is costly to manufacture, compared to other current methods, plus easier to steal from a store.

Pressed optical media is relatively cheap, and downloads aren't expensive either. IMO, you will (an are, for music) see legitimate downloads or streaming being a replacement for optical media, before solid-state media takes over.

Old 04-22-07, 11:08 PM
go with the nano....you don't need the video.

Old 04-23-07, 06:51 AM
We both just got nanos. I love it. Addicting little bugger. So tiny and it holds a ridiculous amount of stuff (4GB). Very easy to use and so is iTunes. I like being able to upload photos as well.

Note: if you want a new one, it's almost impossible to find them for much less than $10 or 15 below retail price, but if you buy online you may be paying shipping which negates the savings.

Now the problem is ripping our entire CD collection (guessing about 500 discs) to iTunes....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: