New Home Stero Wiring

Old 06-05-07, 10:10 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink New Home Stero Wiring

This is a bit complicated. I work for the homebuilder who build my home and to say it was a stressful event is a major understatement. I compromised more than I wanted to but only on small stuff.
When I closed on the home, I did not realize the following 2 problems were outstanding and I am not going to address them with the builder, I am going to take care of them on my own. I make an excellent salary and the stress I've already been thru is enough for me. What I need to know is can I complete these tasks on my own or will I need an electrician? I'm very handy as long as I know "what" to do.

Problem 1:
I paid for surround sound pre-wiring in the owner's suite. What I got is 5 pre-wired outlets w/speaker wiring in them. There is a drop in the bedroom where the sepaker wires come together or electrical outlet for volume (stereo). This was to have been in one of my b/r closets.

Problem 2:
There are 11 pre-wired outlets in the living area of the home and volume control is set up properly in the kitchen under the sink with the speaker wires. However there are 11 outlets in ceilings & walls and only 9 cables by volume control outlet. Shouldn't there be 11?

Problem 3:
All the cables aare E119037 except one in the kitchen of the 9 has E117835 stamped on it. It "looks" the same, is it the same and ok to use?

My home is in Texas and wasn't cheap and should have been done correctly to begin with but sometimes it's better to just "do it yourself" or pay for it yourself and cut your losses rather than destroy your career over a "he said/she said" event. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-05-07, 07:11 PM
U
ok, i am trying to understand the bedroom area problem (problem 1) but don't think i have enough to go on.

as far as problem 2 and 3. is the one wire that has a different number 2 or 4 conductors? this may tell us the reason for only 9 wires at the headend if there are 4 conductors.

once you give this information we can try to help.

Old 06-05-07, 11:02 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did you buy a whole-house system? Where will the head-end equipment reside? If not, will you be using individual components in several locations?

RE Problem 1: I don't know a whole lot about electrical codes, but I do know that in most jurisdictions you can't put electrical components in closets. If you do, it becomes a "utility room" and you can no longer use it as a closet. Maybe this is why they didn't put the drop in the closet?

RE Problems 2/3: Under the kitchen sink? Curious ... why did you choose that location? I'm guessing that two of the 9 cables have four wires for a total of 11 pairs. The wires should be marked with the AWG and number of conductors: "AWG 18/2" or similar. See if two of them have 4 cond. Did they provide you with as-built drawings showing how this system is wired? If not, you can use a toner & wand or a meter (shorting one pair at a time) to identify where the wires go.

Is there any possibility that you could upload some pictures of everything and provide a link? Take closeups of the wires under the sink and at the BR drop.

Relax. It's nothing to stress about. We'll help you get through this.

Old 06-06-07, 05:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
These "Whole house audio systems" can get very complicated. There are a lot of wiring involved and usually takes being in the home to make a good diagram of the layout.

Rick is correct, if you put the head end units in the closet, or even if you have a 120v receptacle in the closet, this space can no longer be used for clothes storage. It would be called a utility closet as Rick said. This may or may not be an issue for you, but just to inform you.

Hook us up with a diagram of the layout, and hopefully we can provide you with a more constructive feedback!

Good luck!

Old 06-06-07, 11:09 AM
S
New Home Speaker Wiring

Thanks Guys for the feedback. I gotta run right now, on lunch break. I'll get some pictures downloaded in a few days. Just curious, I have the security alarm box in my closet. Is this against code?

Old 06-06-07, 06:44 PM
S
Wink New Home Speaker Wiring

Ok, I took pictures but at the bottom of my screen it states "you may not post attachments". But this is what I have. Inside the kitchen cabinet there is one electrical outlet that has 2 plugs. Next to it is what looks to me like a regular cable outlet. Next to that is a hole and out of that hole is 9 long cables. All of the cables have the same number stamped on them except for one. All 9 "look" exactly alike. The casing is the same, size is the same and wiring is black & red. That's the only drop in the home. There were supposed to be "2" drops but there is only one. Anyway, the plates w/wiring are placed as follows: 2 on the front porch, 2 on the back porch, 2 in the formal dining room, 5 in the family room = 11 (that was to be for the drop in the kitchen cabinet). Then there are 5 speaker plates in the owner's suite with no other drop. I'm guessing they are all 16 speaker wiring plates going to end up being connected to the drop in the kitchen cabinet. If that's the case, I'll probably need an electrician to set up a drop in the owner's suite, right? Thanks for any feedback?

Old 06-07-07, 06:05 AM
If you are comfortable with doing some labor, why don't you do this yourself? You will feel great after it's completed.

Regarding your alarm box question: No, alarm panels run on "low voltage" 12vDC so the closet that it's in, can be used normally.

Old 06-10-07, 09:32 AM
R
Didn't mean to leave you hanging, samantha .... Can you upload the pictures to a host site like Imageshack and post the link here?

Old 06-11-07, 06:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Rick is correct, if you put the head end units in the closet, or even if you have a 120v receptacle in the closet, this space can no longer be used for clothes storage.

There is no NEC rule that states that you cannot install receptacles in closets. The rule is that no panels could be installed near easiliy ignitable materials.

Old 06-11-07, 08:22 AM
pcboss,

alarm panels can be installed almost anywhere. They do not have 120v going to them, only 12vdc, so they are considered low voltage.

The only issue that may be raised, is if the transformer and receptacle are in the same closet. That is why most installers place the transformer in a receptacle that is not located in the closet.

Old 06-11-07, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Correction to my post, I should have said electrical panels are not permitted in clothes closets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: