Hook Up Third TV

Old 06-18-07, 10:52 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hook Up Third TV

My daughter has just had a new HDTV and HD receiver hooked up with Starchoice. While doing this she asked the technician to hook up the old tv and Starchoice receiver in another room. Instead of using a cable splitter, the technician hooked both receiver cables direct to the dish.

I have been able to pick up a used Starchoice receiver very cheap at a garage sale and wonder if I could hook up a third TV in another room.

My question is: Could I just use a conventional cable splitter on one of the existing lines or must we bring the technician back in to hook it direct to the dish?

Secondly, the receiver I bought doesn't have the remote control and I wonder if I can just purchase one of those universal controls or must I get a more pricey one from Starchoice?

Old 06-18-07, 11:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do your receivers require a access type card? If not, then you could probably use it.

You will have to use the incoming line from the dish. Get a splitter, and split it off the line going into the first receiver.

You could probably get a universal remote, but, you may not be able to access all the options like the OEM remote could. Like special menus, etc.

Old 06-18-07, 11:24 AM
G
Thanks Mark. No, as far as I am aware there is no card, although I haven't seen the new HD receiver yet.
I'll see if I can get the dedicated remote control.

Thanks again!
Matt

Old 06-18-07, 10:03 PM
C
You need another run from the dish to the receiver.

Most decent universals should cover most common functions.

You will also probably need a receipt or something to be able to add that receiver to your account. Starchoice uses no card, the conditional access is built in the receiver and authorised by the receiver serial number.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: