Home Theatre - Projector Or Dlp Wide Screen

Old 09-09-07, 10:52 AM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Home Theatre - Projector Or Dlp Wide Screen

Hello,

On my last house I finished my basement and had great home theater room with Toshiba 62" DLP, Klipsch speakers, Yamaha Amp, Sony DVD etc.

I am working on my basement layout home theater for my new (house) basement project. I have a potential placement of a rear wall that I can move forward and alcove to drop in a 65" Toshiba DLP or I can leave wall at current design position and possibly use a projector.

The projector is appealing as I'd maximize floor space but I have no clue as to how well they work and if different lighting conditions have effect.

Questions on projector Television....

1) Can they mount to ceiling and "shoot" to the screen area at angle?
2) They have multi inputs to watch TV, DVD, VCR, XBox etc.?
2) How close does have to be to the wall?
3) Does room light/windows effect quality? (area will be in rear of basement with no windows but will be large open room with windows on front wall about 24' away)
4) Is there a decent unit around $1500.00
5) Is the picture as good or better than a good DLP?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks! FF

Old 09-09-07, 11:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
1) Can they mount to ceiling and "shoot" to the screen area at angle?

-- No, they need to be head on with the screen or else it will look like it's oblonged. Do not put the projector off to the side of the screen. It is fine to have the projector shoot a small angle down at the screen.

2) They have multi inputs to watch TV, DVD, VCR, XBox etc.?

--Yes, they have all the connections a normal digital TV has to include HDMI

2) How close does have to be to the wall?

Depends on what projector and what size screen. They can be pretty far back depending on model.

3) Does room light/windows effect quality? (area will be in rear of basement with no windows but will be large open room with windows on front wall about 24' away)

--- Windows and the sun affects all TV's and more so projectors, but if you have blinds/shades on them, you should have a great picture.

4) Is there a decent unit around $1500.00

--There are many, here is one from Circuit City that got deent reviews: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Optoma-Digital-Projector-EP1690/sem/rpsm/oid/159638/catOid/-17062/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I suggest doing some reseatch on them, either through CNet.com or other. They test these and write their reviews about them.

5) Is the picture as good or better than a good DLP?

-- They have HD quality so they offer good picture. It all depends on your budget. The more money you spend on a projector, the better it will be most likely.

There are other things you need to take into consideration when using one;

Are you going to run a new electrical receptacle at the location of the projector and room to run the cabling through the ceiling to your other components?

Old 09-09-07, 05:03 PM
F
Thanks for the reply.

The basement is unfinished and I have opportunity to pull the wires so wiring is not a problem (unless cable lengths have max requirements).

There is a support beam that is perfect place to hide/install the projector. The projector would project towards the blank wall about 8 feet away at approx. 15 degree angle....... i guess....so that the picture wouldn't be too high on the wall
I'll read up and see if this is feasible.

The link seems like a decent price...compared to the cost of the 65" DLP.

Thanks for the input. FF

Old 09-10-07, 04:36 AM
R
The newer projectors have adjustments for keystoning and skew that allow for horizontal and vertical offsets from dead center. However, they have limits. Also, it's the lens that determines how far the projector needs to be from the screen. You buy the right lens for the application.

One thing to keep in mind is operating cost. A projector lamp can cost $300 to $700 dollars. Use life continues to increase as technology improves, but it's generally between 1,500 and 3,000 hours. Worse, the use-life clock continues to tick (at a reduced rate) even if the lamp sits unused on a shelf.

If the projector is on for five or six hours a day, expect to buy a new lamp about once a year.

Old 09-10-07, 04:44 AM
F
Great feedback, thanks.

I had read that the lamp life was what you had stated but had no idea the lamp cost was that high. This certainly makes me re-think this.

I had also heard that my Toshiba 62" DLP (since sold) had a bulb life issue as well. Any idea what bulb for a DLP such as the Toshiba costs?

Thanks again for the info. FF

Old 09-10-07, 02:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bulbs for Toshiba DLP's start about $375+, but they are very efficient.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: