Recording LP Vinyl Records

Old 10-03-07, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
My mistake........I re-read your post and you did say you were trying to record to your hard drive first.

I had never tried what you want to do and after checking I do not believe you can use Media Player to record analog music files.
As far as I know you need to use software designed for that purpose.
Here is what Microsoft recommends for recording vinyl and they suggest the use of the Microsoft program "Plus! Superpac" which is no longer available.

That suggestion from BSB to check out Audacity was a good one.
I had never heard of it and it looks like a basic version of Sound Forge who does not offer a free download.
I downloaded Audacity and it looks good at first glance but there will be a bit of a learning curve.

Old 10-04-07, 02:54 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Media Player won't reconize the turntable as a device because the turntable is connected to the analog (blue) inputs. There is no digital connection to the TT that could allow it to talk to the computer.

The "device" in this case might be the audio card itself. The fact that you can now hear sound means the device is working.

I just spent the better part of an hour on that convoluted MS XP Media Center website and found nothing in the tutorials or FAQs that allows you to record analog audio without an add-on recording program. In fact, Microsoft has a download section that features a number of audio recording and editing apps.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 10-04-07 at 03:04 AM. Reason: correct url
Old 10-05-07, 03:11 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Finally!!! Success!!!

Mission accomplished.!

First a word of THANKS to each and everyone whom donated his/her time, resources and advice to assist me in this project. Special thanks must go to GregH. Bulls Eye!!!

Program needed was in fact Windows PLUS! Just happened to have that (additionally purchased separately several years ago) software on the Cd.

Within Windows PLUS! is the program called PLUS! Analog. Exactly what is needed to record vinyl records... Quick, easy and best of all it WORKS! And has noise and hiss removal, if that is wanted...

To anyone any everyone attempting to record vinyl record, learn from my experiences and the advice offered in this thread.

In order to record vinyl to windows hard drive, without buying optional/separate components, etc. you must have Windows PLUS! Cd software.

Thanks to all!...

Old 10-11-07, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Windows Plus

Now that Tom has gone thru all of the , not to mention the fact I just discovered this thread, I guess all I need to know now is: Is Windows Plus still available?

I have tons of LP's & even more 45's I'd like to get onto the 'puter & eventually onto CD.

Old 10-11-07, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
This is taken from Microsoft's site:

"Microsoft has discontinued Plus! SuperPack for Windows XP and Plus! Digital Media Edition. Many of the features and tools that have been enjoyed for years now can be found in new Microsoft titles and services including Windows Vista™. For more information Click Here"

Here is a link Rick Johnson provided for analog recorders, many of them free.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: