Car Stereo Won't Play Burned CDs

Old 09-25-07, 09:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Car Stereo Won't Play Burned CDs

My car cd stereo Sony CDX 1200, inexpensive model, 5-6 years old, seems to have difficulty with playing burned CD's. These work fine on other CD players. The CD seems to make scraping noise when trying to play, then will eject with an error code. Pre recorded CDs work fine.

I'm speculating that the stereo may be having a mechanical problem with the burned CD's since they are slightly thinner than pre-record CD's as there is no label on the burned CD's.

Could this be the problem? Or something else, any suggestions to recolve the problem?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-07, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
Coincidentally I overhead a discussion on this subject at one of the garages I tow for. Apparently some CD players have trouble with burned disks over commercial ones, something to do with the physical construction of the disk. Store-bought disks play okay for you?

Old 09-25-07, 09:27 AM
D
Yes, tow-guy, it plays commercial cds fine. I was wondering if the thickness without the label caused a problem, And until about one month ago it layed burned Cds fine.

Old 09-25-07, 11:12 AM
BSB
Try burning your disc at the slowest speed your burner will burn at. Since Car cd players don't have the same error checking capabilities as the CDROM does it will spin out of control, wobble and eject. (ok, maybe not.. ) But have found this to be the case with burning music cd's and DVD's that error out when trying to play. The slow speed yields fewer (i'm guessing) errors and gives you a much better product.

Last edited by BSB; 09-25-07 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added info.
Old 09-25-07, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What format are you recording these CD's on?

Have you checked to see if your player is capable of playing MPEG-2/3 recorded CD's? Some players are also picky about if the CD is CD-R or CD+R.

Added:

I reviewed the product specs on this model. It will only play CD-R disks. You may have recorded on CD+R or RW?

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/spe...Spec_Sheet.pdf

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 09-25-07 at 02:30 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-26-07, 03:56 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have you tried running a cleaning disc in the player? If it played fine until a month ago and you haven't changed media or the burning process, it's probably a dirty lens.

Sometimes even a cleaning disc isn't enough. All it does is clean the center of the lens, leaving gunk on the outer edges. A moistened Q-tip with almost no pressure on the lens can do a more thorough cleaning, but the lens can be hard to get at in a car player. Be gentle -- if you knock it out of alignment you'll do more harm than good.

Old 09-26-07, 03:56 AM
D
I am using CD-R disks. The stereo has previously been able to play the burned Cds. I do notice that when playing the commercial Cd's I can hear them spinning as normal but the burned Cd's make a scraping noise when spinning/trying to spin.

Old 09-26-07, 05:25 AM
J
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
Try sticking labels on them. Maybe they are too thin and the car player can not grip them properly to spin them.