Connecting DVD to an old Magnavox TV

Old 10-27-07, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting DVD to an old Magnavox TV

I have a DVD player that I wanted to connect to an old Maganvox TV. The set was given to me by my father in law, and as far as I know it worked when he last used it.

The back of the set has only a connection for a 75 ohm connection. The DVD player has a RF out. I connected an RG6 cable with F connectors from the DVD player to the TV. I set the channel to channel 3 on the set, but get no image or sound from the DVD player. In fact, I tried every channel on the set, but still no image.

I know it's not much info, but is there anything obvious that I am missing to get this to work?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-07, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would troubleshoot by (1) connecting the DVD to a working TV with a known-working cable, and (2) connecting the TV to a different source -- cable, satellite, or antenna. Once you verify they both work, we'll go from there.

What's the make & model of the DVD?

Old 10-28-07, 06:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 58 Votes on 55 Posts
Ignorant when I bought my first DVD player and tried to hook it up to an old TV that wasn't compatible. The picture didn't work, but I did get sound. Based on that and nothing else, I think there's a possibility something might be wrong with one of your components. I think Rick has you on track to figure it out with the suggestion of hooking each up to other things to verify that each is working properly.

Old 10-28-07, 07:53 AM
Received 111 Votes on 101 Posts
Did you try pushing the tv/dvd or ANT button on the DVD remote.