Home theatre to TV

Old 11-03-07, 11:58 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home theatre to TV

Is it possible to hook up my surround sound audio system to my TV. Right now the surround sound only comes on during DVD's. Can I hook it so it is on whenever the TV is on. The TV is a Samsung (3 years old). The aidio system is a Sony (2 years old). Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 11-04-07, 12:11 AM
Sure, as long as either your TV has audio outputs or your cable/satellite box does. All you need is the appropriate cable, assuming your surround sound system has a free set of inputs.

Personally, I find the difference in audio when a commercial comes on unsettling, and have since disconnected my surround sound from the TV.

Old 11-04-07, 02:37 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The TV probably has a set of Variable audio outputs (Red & white RCA connectors, NOT the speaker terminals!). The surround sound receiver has inputs labeled "TV". The TV's audio menu will allow you to turn off the internal speakers.

Core, I don't know what kind of receiver you have, but most have a "Compressor" or "Leveller" setting that evens-out the levels of the audio. Mine has different settings for the various inputs, so I can defeat it when I'm watching a DVD or activate it to tame the obnoxious commercials when I watch TV. It does compromise the sound quality a bit, but it's still better than those tinny speakers in my TV.

Old 11-04-07, 04:00 AM
Rick-

Nope my cheap one doesn't have a compressor but actually I wasn't talking about the levels. More having to do with the speaker mix:

I'll be watching a show, the audio's fairly well... 'flat', normal, whatever... and more heavily weighted towards only the front speakers. Just a normal wholesome TV show, no explosions and what not. Then up comes a GoArmy commercial with music and flying bullets; sounding like they spent 1.2 million on the audio alone. Just having all 5 speakers suddenly come up to full volume is startling enough. Next commercial is for the "massage therapy" place down the street with only a fullscreen and a voiceover sounding like it was recorded on a Barbie tape recorder, and we're back to audio only really coming from the front speakers. And so on and so on for the whole break. It's all about who put together the commercial and what their budget was.

Convoluted explanation, I know. In short it's not the levels it's just the difference in audio depth and quality. And certainly which speakers get used period, on my setup at least. First I just switched off the rear speakers and subwoofer altogether when watching TV, but even that wasn't quite enough. So back to the tinny TV speakers where the origin of the sounds doesn't drastically change every 30 second spot.

-core

P.S. I usually only watch things like 'Leave it to Beaver'. (Recorded in mono of course.) That might have something to do with it too. LOL

Old 11-04-07, 07:18 AM
B
lbphathead --

The answer to your question is .... depends.

Depends on the outputs on your tv, depends on what the tv source is (cable no box, cable with box, satellite, antenna). depends on the inputs available on your home theater.

Give us the details and we can help.

Old 11-04-07, 08:50 AM
Core,
I rarely watch tv live, with commercials anymore. If I do, it's not important, such as right now as I'm typing this, with Bill Engvall in the background (seen it several times). As soon as a commercial hits I'm skipping forward. (Although, have you ever done something stupid like get half way through the commercials before you realize you can fast forward. I have.)

Old 11-04-07, 10:54 PM
L
I cable with no box. I will check the tv outputs and audio inputs tomorrow and update you. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: