Wall speakers or others for my HI-FI

Old 11-24-07, 11:02 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wall speakers or others for my HI-FI

I want to complete my hi-fi equipment: PLANAR1 (disk player), SONY (tape-recorder), NAD (amplifier). Before choosing the speakers, I'd like to have any suggestion about this subject: are the smaller wall speakers (in general) better on the final sound than the biggers that have about 100cm high, from the floor to the top of the speaker
( referring to 2/3 channel speakers )?

Old 11-25-07, 02:11 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum!

When you say "wall speakers," are you talking about the type that is flush-mounted directly into the wall? Hopefully not, because you have to spend a lot of money to get good ones, and you can't experiment with placement or take them with you if you leave.

A three-way speaker with woofer, midrange, and tweeter will generally be more accurate than its two-way (woofer/tweeter) counterpart. Larger speakers also tend to reproduce better bass frequencies.

Smaller speakers are designed to be listened to in the "near-field," which means you have to sit quite close to get their full spectrum. If your listening area is small, they may work well for you.

Some people opt for a two-way (midrange/tweeter) "top" box for the highs and mids, and then add a subwoofer for the lows. To me, this is OK for home theater applications but it's distracting for critical listening of music because the time alignment of the system is compromised.

My philosophy towards speaker selection has always been to listen on the same systems that were used to mix & master the recordings. That means Studio Monitors: Genelec, Urie (if you can find them), Tannoy, Dynaudio Acoustics, JBL Pro, and Electro-Voice are some of the brand names I like. They're not for everyone, though, because they are designed to reproduce flat, full-spectrum sound. Many people prefer their speakers to color the sound with added bass and crispy highs.

Whatever you decide, make sure you listen before you buy. Speaker selection is very personal, and no amount of internet research will assure that you are buying something that will be pleasing to your ears.

Old 11-25-07, 07:33 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Loudspeakers "VISIONIK"

I thank you for your suggestion. The loudspeakers I tought about were to substitute a pair of 3channel-type speakers, such as "MISSION"; I intent to put the speakers inside a room that is about 30/35m2 area. The brand name I'm thinking of, concernig the price/quality relation, is "VISIONIK".

Is it a good choice?

Old 11-26-07, 03:15 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have never heard those speakers, and my preferences may differ from yours. All I can say is listen to them in a place where you can compare them with others before you buy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: