Mounting a 37 inch lcd on the wall

Old 12-03-07, 02:56 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mounting a 37 inch lcd on the wall

I have wall mount that I wish to use with my 37 inch LCD. My question is how do i get around the firewall. Should I cut the drywall and then cut the firewall to fit the cords down the inside of the wall.
Also, when the cords come out the bottom hole (I have a receptacle directly below the stud I plan to mount the tv to) do I need to have a box or sould the cords just come out of a cut hole. What type of cover can i use for the hole.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-07, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Firewall? Are you renting a condo or apartment? If so, you cannot do this work, you have to ask the landlord.

I don't see how you would route the wires in this, and digging a channel in the firewall is not recommended.

Is the drywall mounted to a typical 2/4 studs? If so, you mount your bracket to the studs.

If you have room between the firewall and the drywall, you can install these for the cords:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Old 12-03-07, 05:07 PM
L
No I own the house.

I was planning on mounting the bracket to the stud, but running the wires down to the outlet I believe i will hit the fire wall. I was thinking of cutting the drywall open and drilling a hole in the 2X4 fire wall so the cords could drop down to the bottom hole. Let me know if this makes sense. I didn't think there would be anyroom between the firewall and the drywall. If there is then i am OK.

Do they sell the wall plates at home depot?

Old 12-03-07, 06:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm still confused about what you are calling a "firewall"

A firewall is usually a cement wall that seperates a joining home or apartment.

Are you just talking about a 2x4 brace that runs horizontally from one verticle stud to another?

Yes, I think HD sells those wallplates.

Old 12-03-07, 06:39 PM
L
Yes that it what i meant for a firewall, basically a horizontal stud (2X4). I've also heard of using 3 inch grommets (like the ones placed in computer cabinets) to put in the hole at the top and bottom of the wall (where the cables go in and where the cables go out of the wall).

Old 12-03-07, 10:49 PM
D
Cords are not allowed to be fished in walls.
Arlingto Industries makes a box that addresses this problem.
Catalog#TVB613.

Old 12-04-07, 03:22 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The horizontal 2x4 is called a firestop. Unless it's used near a heat generating source like a fireplace, it's probably just a brace. In any case, you can drill holes in it for your cabling. If you think it is a firestop, seal the holes with a fire rated putty.

Low-voltage cables can be installed in walls, but you cannot run an electrical plug-in power cord (or extension cord) inside a wall. The wire itself is not rated for in-wall use.

The best way to do this is to remove the drywall, mount a box for your low voltage cabling on one stud, and run your low-voltage cabling through the wall into the box so the cables can terminate in wall plates. Then open up the existing AC receptacle and run new wiring (match the original AC wiring) up to a new recep box behind the TV. Mount that box on the other stud and keep the AC wiring as far away from the LV cables as possible.

The look will be clean and high-tech, and your family will be safe.

Old 12-05-07, 07:20 AM
C
If you need to cut the drywall to drill the fire blocking, I would just run conduit (1 1/2" or 2") between two boxes for your low voltage needs (so you can add or replace wire in the future w/o any hassles).

Put a recessed clock outlet behind the TV for power and as Rick mentioned keep on opposite sides of the stud bay or a different stud bay from LV.