UHF reception after 2/17/2009

Old 12-23-07, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
UHF reception after 2/17/2009

Does anyone know if the UHF TV stations will be converted to digital? Will they remain analog, or will they cease to exist? Not that I watch UHF, but I was just wondering...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-07, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All's I know is that every thing has to be converted to digital in '09 per FCC so I would assume UHF as well.

People who have OnStar in their older vehicles are already experiencing the effects of this new mandate. Their service is no more......all has to be converted at a high price if they choose to keep the system.

Old 12-23-07, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Strategery View Post
Does anyone know if the UHF TV stations will be converted to digital? Will they remain analog, or will they cease to exist? Not that I watch UHF, but I was just wondering...
Most are already converted to digital. And most ARE on the uhf side.

What will change is, analog will be gone.
You''ll need either a digital cable box, a sat receiver, or a digital converter for an analog tv. Or, an antenna conected to a digital ready TV.

fred

I watch OTA UHF, my cbs, nbc, fox , and pbs are in HD!!

Old 12-24-07, 05:28 AM
Strategery,
AntennaWeb is a site maintained by the Consumer Electronics Association that allows you to type in your zip code (and address) to see all of the stations in your area.

I think you'll find that all of them currently broadcast in both analog (on the original frequency) and digital (usually on a UHF frequency). As Fewalt said, analog will be gone when the transmitters are shut off in February of '09.

The stations will then have the option of moving the digital signal to the original channel or staying put on the new frequency.

Old 12-24-07, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
People who have OnStar in their older vehicles are already experiencing the effects of this new mandate. Their service is no more......all has to be converted at a high price if they choose to keep the system.
Bad info.
That does not hold true for ALL Onstar customers.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../70312006/1528

Old 12-24-07, 07:08 AM
As an Onstar owner with a 2003 vehicle, I got a notice this past summer regarding the transition from Analog to Digital.

The upgrade was $15, the catch was you needed to buy a one years subscription ($160) up front before installation. Otherwise you would lose all your prepaid minutes that you have come 1-1-08. With the upgrade you got to keep your minutes.

I have always paid monthly for the subscription, so I don't think it is really "Big bucks" to pay it up front for a change.

Mark_ms

Last edited by Mark_MS; 12-24-07 at 07:12 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-24-07, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by oneofamill View Post
Bad info.
That does not hold true for ALL Onstar customers.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../70312006/1528
Note I never said ALL OnStar customers. I said customers with the older versions of OnStar.

My post still stands.

Old 12-24-07, 11:11 PM
OK, thanks for all the replies so far. All of the VHF channels (2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12) in my area also have a HD signal on another frequency. However, none of the analog UHF stations have a HD signal. All analog transmission is history after 2/17/2009, right? So, more than likely, the current analog UHF stations, without a separate HD station, will either convert to digital after this date, or they will be off the air?

Old 12-25-07, 08:07 AM
Correct.

The current uhf staions may also have another uhf, or vhf channel for their digital. All hd is digital, however, not all digital is HD.
for example: our Fox uhf 27, is on digital 17. Prime time is HD and weekend games are HD. Daytime is still sd(digital).
Our pbs, ch 15, somehow got ch 3 for their digital and HD (what a debacle by the fcc). Some ppl get interference on ch 3 video equipment. They may move back to 15 after the changeover.

Go to antennaweb.org for your location information!!!
fred

Old 12-25-07, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the correction, I understand that not all digital is HD, but I had been using HD and digital interchangeably. Sorry for the confusion.