Splitting Cable Signal

Old 01-03-08, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Splitting Cable Signal

I have a question about converting and/or splitting a cable signal.

I have been remodeling my home, part of which involves running two CAT5e UTP cables, and one coax cable into each room of the house. All of the cables home back to a special wire closet where I will be installing a media distribution center.

I can get an amplified CATV signal splitting module that fits into the media center, that allows me to split the signal to six different rooms. This module uses coax cables.

Here are my questions (please don't laugh!):

1. If I split the signal, what hardware do I need at the TV end so that each TV can be on a different channel at any given time?

2. Is it better to use coax or one of the CAT5e UTP cables for TV signals? If I use the CAT5e, what type of converter do I need to go from the incoming coax?

3. Will coax work for digital/HD type signals?

Any insight into these issues will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-08, 02:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by rdn2113 View Post
1. If I split the signal, what hardware do I need at the TV end so that each TV can be on a different channel at any given time?

2. Is it better to use coax or one of the CAT5e UTP cables for TV signals? If I use the CAT5e, what type of converter do I need to go from the incoming coax?

3. Will coax work for digital/HD type signals?

Any insight into these issues will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Rick

1. No special equipment needed unless you want the special digital channels which require a cable box at the TV.

2. I've never seen CAT5e used for digital video? Use RG-6 coax cable for TV runs.

3. Thats how all digital cable is, so yes.

Old 01-03-08, 04:05 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
TV over Cat 5 currently requires converters at each end. It's rarely used in a home because of the expense.

Your wiring scheme looks good. I would pull a second run of RG6 into each room so a dish receiver or cable box can be installed in the future.

(Not just any old RG6. Digital needs all-copper RG6!)

Old 01-03-08, 04:49 PM
OK - I will pull an additional RG-6 in each room. And I am using the all copper stuff - even though it is a bit spendy!

Thank you for all your help everyone!!!

Rick

Old 01-05-08, 10:13 AM
By all copper stuff, do you mean copper braided shield? DON'T USE THAT!!!!. That's for CCTV, which is baseband or line level video. It's not for broadband or broadcast TV. The bandwidth is different.

Now if you're talking about solid copper center conductor, that's good. But it should be aluminum braid shield.

Old 01-06-08, 12:49 PM
That's what I meant - copper core. I also have a compression type tool for termination. Thanks!

rn