Is Blue-ray Worth It?

Old 01-11-08, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is Blue-ray Worth It?

I was recently in C.City & they had a 1080 HD TV set-up with a split screen so that 1/2 of the scxreen was showing a Blue-ray recording while the other half was just a normal DVD. While you could see a difference, (if you really studied it for a minute) it was not that great & I don't think it justifies paying $400 for a Blue-rfay player & 3X the price for the DVD's. What does everyone else think?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-08, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
I was recently in C.City & they had a 1080 HD TV set-up with a split screen so that 1/2 of the scxreen was showing a Blue-ray recording while the other half was just a normal DVD. While you could see a difference, (if you really studied it for a minute) it was not that great & I don't think it justifies paying $400 for a Blue-rfay player & 3X the price for the DVD's. What does everyone else think?
I saw a similar test at a High-End TV/Electronics store.
Two Sonys side by side, a 1080P and a 1080I both showing the same blue ray disc. Very close I could see smaller pixels on the 1080p set, but from 5 feet or back, my eyes couldn't see the difference. But, since I don't buy DVDs, I can not even justify a 1080p set to take advantage of Blu-Ray discs.

fred

Old 01-11-08, 07:13 PM
I've seen Blu-ray even on 720 TV's and it looks awsome! I would wait a while though, until it became obvious who will win the format war. For about the same price, you could buy a PS3 that will play Blu-ray discs. What kind of TV would you be connecting it to?

Old 01-12-08, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by Strategery View Post
I would wait a while though, until it became obvious who will win the format war.
... and also until the prices come down. They will drop through the floor in the next year.

Old 01-22-08, 09:39 PM
If they had the two players side by side and you could not see a big difference, I'm sure they were probably using a very nice DVD player. As you know some regular DVD players can have lots of image enhancing features to produce excellent picture quality. In my line of work I tried a Blu-Ray drive and compared it to a very basic DVD player and the difference was obvious. I'd just settle for a good DVD player for now until the price on the Blue-Ray goes down, and it will.

Old 01-23-08, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by moonlite View Post
If they had the two players side by side and you could not see a big difference, I'm sure they were probably using a very nice DVD player. As you know some regular DVD players can have lots of image enhancing features to produce excellent picture quality. In my line of work I tried a Blu-Ray drive and compared it to a very basic DVD player and the difference was obvious. I'd just settle for a good DVD player for now until the price on the Blue-Ray goes down, and it will.
If that's the case, it's kind of a dumb way to try and get people to pay an extra $300 bucks. They shoulda put some piece of junk on it.

But I agree with everyone else. Wait a bit. Oh, and if you don't have a 1080p tv, or at least a good high def, than it's not worth it. you probably wouldn't see much difference at a distance, over a good std player as mentioned.

Old 01-24-08, 12:12 PM
If you want to build your movie collection in HD, you can buy hybrid DVD/HD DVD disks that you can watch in your DVD player now, and then watch the HD side when you get a new player. If you go that route, hopefully HD DVD wins and/or they will have inexpensive combo players.

Also, I have noticed that the newer DVD's seem to look better. I think the newer DVD's do a better job with compression/encoding than the older ones. I'm sure that the source for older DVD's (film) probably degrades over time.

Finally, I think the standards for HD DVD are better set; Sony keeps changing the standards for BLU-Ray. Just my 2.

Old 01-24-08, 05:31 PM
Early model DVD players used to balk at high bitrates, fingerprints, scratches and all kinds of other things. I can't count the times I rented something from the local video store only to pull it out of the player and literally wash it off in the sink before it would play. It got to the point where I'd wash & dry a rented movie before watching it.

(People mistreat all rented gear, but that's another story.)

The newest generation of standard-def players will play just about anything. In the near future, I think it will be common to see HD-DVD on one side and Blu-Ray on the other until someone wins the format wars. ( sigh ... whichever one wins, we all lose! )

Technically, both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD have much better resolution than SD DVD. Me? I'm waiting for the prices to drop. By next Christmas we should have a clear winner in the format wars and equipment prices we can all deal with.

Remember, you can't just go out and buy a Blu-Ray player. You have to have the HDTV to view it in all of its glory. And the sound system to listen to it with 6 or 8 speakers.

And a room that's acoustically treated and visually focused on the screen. And comfortable furniture. And a programmable remote so one button does the trick.

I figure $10,000 is about right. By next Christmas, it's $5,000.

Old 01-24-08, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Early model DVD players used to balk at high bitrates, fingerprints, scratches and all kinds of other things. I can't count the times I rented something from the local video store only to pull it out of the player and literally wash it off in the sink before it would play. It got to the point where I'd wash & dry a rented movie before watching it.

(People mistreat all rented gear, but that's another story.)

The newest generation of standard-def players will play just about anything. In the near future, I think it will be common to see HD-DVD on one side and Blu-Ray on the other until someone wins the format wars. ( sigh ... whichever one wins, we all lose! )

Technically, both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD have much better resolution than SD DVD. Me? I'm waiting for the prices to drop. By next Christmas we should have a clear winner in the format wars and equipment prices we can all deal with.

Remember, you can't just go out and buy a Blu-Ray player. You have to have the HDTV to view it in all of its glory. And the sound system to listen to it with 6 or 8 speakers.

And a room that's acoustically treated and visually focused on the screen. And comfortable furniture. And a programmable remote so one button does the trick.

I figure $10,000 is about right. By next Christmas, it's $5,000.
The room is key, yet so many people, even when building a new house, won't do anything about it. It's better to put a mediocre sound system in a good room, than a great sound system in a bad room.

Less, yes. $10k now, $5k next christmas? High hopes, Rick, but I doubt it.

Old 01-24-08, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Strategery View Post
If you want to build your movie collection in HD, you can buy hybrid DVD/HD DVD disks that you can watch in your DVD player now, and then watch the HD side when you get a new player. If you go that route, hopefully HD DVD wins and/or they will have inexpensive combo players.

Also, I have noticed that the newer DVD's seem to look better. I think the newer DVD's do a better job with compression/encoding than the older ones. I'm sure that the source for older DVD's (film) probably degrades over time.

Finally, I think the standards for HD DVD are better set; Sony keeps changing the standards for BLU-Ray. Just my 2.
If you want to know which DVD's look and sound the best, read Widescreen Review. These guys actually screen the movies in the various formats, with awesome theater setups, and rate the quality of the sound and picture. Has nothing to do with whether it's a good movie, just whether they did a good job transferring it to DVD. Black levels, artifacts, and all that stuff. Might help you decide if you want to spend the extra money to add it to your collection, or if you want to get it in HD DVD/Blue Ray or std DVD.

Old 02-20-08, 11:34 AM
Is it worth it? At this point no. If you havent purchased one yet you just wait till next Christmas.

Its not just a visual enhancement but an audio one as well. Having an HD set is just part of the equation, getting a decent surround sound setup is the other part.

How many DVDs are in your collection now? If you have a lot would you be willing to replace all of them? If you have a decent HD set get an upscaling DVD player for your current library, it wont make them HD but it will make them slightly better at a lower cost without having to replace your entire library.