HDMI getting interference from coaxial?

Old 01-14-08, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HDMI getting interference from coaxial?

Not sure if this is a TV or computer question but here goes. I've got a Playstation3 for Xmas and hooked it up to the 42" LCD LG TV via HDMI cable. Every now again, I'll get some kind of static-like pixalation that's very apparant, certainly on darker colors. The DVR is hooked up to the TV via an HDMI (TV has 3 HDMI slots) and I've never had that problem. In talking to the Sony people, they said that it sounds like I'm getting interference, possibly from the coaxial cable feeding the DVR and suggested contacting the cable company for some kind of cable filter to reduce the noise. I did try another HDMI cable with the PS3 and got the same intermittant results, so I figure it's either this filter issue or my Playstation. Can anyone with experience confirm what the Sony guys are saying? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-08, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is highly unlikely that you are getting interference from a coax cable. Both these cables are shielded.

Sounds like it could be a issue with the PS3 of the TV, but I would lean towards the PS3.

Old 01-15-08, 04:52 AM
Does it go away if you disconnect the cable from the DVR?

Does it go away if you use the PS3's video out to the A/V in of the TV? (Yellow RCA connectors)

How long is the HDMI cable?

Old 01-15-08, 01:01 PM
Thanks to both respondees.

Rick - to your points:
a) I didn't try disconnecting the DVR cable - I'll try that tonight to see. Like I say, the issue appears intermittant so it may take a couple of days to determine whether this helped.
b) I did swap out the HDMI for component cables and yes, that seemed to cure the problem (DVR was still connected too) though I didn't test it for any considered period of time.
c) HDMI is 6ft.

HotinOKC - Your thoughts echo mine in that I'm sceptical it's the coax and thinking it's more of an issue with HDMI port in the PS3. I'm hoping that some of Rick's suggestions may prove me wrong though so I don't have to go through the whole product return process with Sony.

Old 01-17-08, 07:17 PM
It finally did it again tonight, so I yanked the DVR cable with no effect. So I suspect a dodgy HDMI port on the PS3. Any other suggestions? Cheers.

Old 01-17-08, 08:12 PM
"swap out the HDMI for component cables and yes, that seemed to cure the problem"

you got it!!!

HDMI has issues all over the place.

fred

Old 01-05-09, 10:43 AM
Coaxial and Component cable interference

I read these postings and my problem is with the Component Cable, since I don't have HDMI. Any advice? As soon I disconnect the antenna coaxial cable from the TV the interference stops. Is pretty annoying, and I know they are coated cables but it seems that has no effect because even in the troubleshooting phone recording from PS3 Sony they state that Coaxial cables can give you this problem but of course they don't tell you how to fix it.

Thanks

Old 01-05-09, 04:22 PM
This is an issue when voltage is present at the ground, or shield, of the RG cable from the cable company. Unfortunately, many of the new TVs cause the issue even if the incoming cable is properly grounded.

You can isolate your cable and probably fix the problem by installing a "balun" between the cable and the TV.