How to splice 8mm digital tape

Old 01-28-08, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to splice 8mm digital tape

I have an 8mm digital tape that broke in the middle of the tape. Can I splice it back together again? How would I do it and with what tape? I know I can send it out for repair, but wanted to know if I can do it myself.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-08, 05:07 AM
First, understand that you've lost whatever was on that section of tape. It will never play properly, and if you try to play it you could cause severe damage to the player.

If the tape is stretched or wrinkled, cut it back on both ends so you have clean, flat tape to work with. A splice block (if you can find one) makes the job easier because it lines up the tapes for the cuts and splices. Use only tape that's designed for splicing magnetic recording tape. (No Scotch tape!)

If you can't find a splice block, a piece of glass makes a nice work surface. Overlap the two pieces by at least half an inch with the media (dull) side down. Line them up and temporarily tape them to the work surface with the overlaps exposed.

Use an exacto to make a diagonal cut across both pieces. Remove the excess and the two pieces should line up with no space between them. Tape them together, trim any excess, remove your temporary tape, and wind it back into the cassette.

Do not try to play that section of tape!! As soon as you see it leave the cassette, stop the deck, remove the tape, and manually wind it well past the splice. If you allow it to pass over the heads, any little exposed piece of sticky tape can literally rip the head right off the drum.

It's best to play it only once -- to make a copy -- and then throw out the cassette.

I cannot stress enough the importance of preventing that splice from coming into contact with the transport or drum!

Old 01-29-08, 08:38 AM
Okay...

Rick,
Thanks so much for the info, now it leads me to another question. I am trying to transfer it to save it and then will throw the tape away so as not to use it again. I am transferring it from my digital camera to my computer and am unable to see when the spliced area would be coming up. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Ginger

Last edited by G1ngerbread; 01-29-08 at 08:38 AM. Reason: word not completed
Old 01-29-08, 04:18 PM
Manually rewind the tape so it's well ahead of the splice. Record your hand covering the lens. Rewind the tape to the beginning and transfer the video to your computer.

When you see your hand cover the lens, stop the tape, remove it, and manually wind it well past the splice. Stick it back in and capture the rest of your video. When it's done, don't rewind it. Rewinding or fast-forwarding past the splice is just as bad as playing it.

Good luck. Truth is, you may not destroy the camera by playing through the splice just once, but why take the chance?

How did the tape break in the first place?

Old 01-31-08, 12:22 PM
Great idea!

That is such a great idea! I will do that. The tape split in the camera. I have not had an issue with other tapes before or after this one. I must have put it in incorrectly or something. Even now as I try to manually rotate either side, it is quite tight.