catv connections

Old 02-02-08, 12:36 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
catv connections

I have a variety of strippers, crimpers and connections. I, sort of, take pride in having tools at the ready when I need them. The onle problem i have is the propper crimping og f connectors for rg6 cable. Sometimes these connections do not work propperly. I went to Home Depoy today and bought a datashark compression tool and a jar of f compression fittings. I hope I can get a better fit up. Is compression the better way to go over crimping or twist on?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-08, 04:01 PM
Anything is better than twist-on.

Crimp or Compression makes no difference for interior(weather protected) applications.
Compression fittings are best for outdoors, along with some dielectric grease to insure moisture stays out.

fred

Old 02-02-08, 07:19 PM
G
Yes, compression works much better and look better too. I also like the twist on. Didn't have good luck with the crimp on.

Old 02-03-08, 05:27 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I wouldn't use twist-ons at all. They aren't reliable.

It's critical that you buy connectors for the exact type of cable you're using. They are not 100% compatible.

Crimp connections are okay for standard cable and broadcast antennas, but satellite dish feeds and digital cable should have compression connectors.

The hex pattern on a crimp connector can distort the dielectric, affecting the cable's ability to pass the higher frequencies at which digital cable and satellites operate. Round compression connectors don't have that problem.

Old 02-03-08, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
I wouldn't use twist-ons at all. They aren't reliable.

It's critical that you buy connectors for the exact type of cable you're using. They are not 100% compatible.

Crimp connections are okay for standard cable and broadcast antennas, but satellite dish feeds and digital cable should have compression connectors.

The hex pattern on a crimp connector can distort the dielectric, affecting the cable's ability to pass the higher frequencies at which digital cable and satellites operate. Round compression connectors don't have that problem.

Rick,
Over 400 Dish installs - never seen the problem you mention.
Not even on C-band dishes - another bunch of installs.
However, we now use compression due to water invasion.

fred