connect two inwall speakers together

Old 02-06-08, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
connect two inwall speakers together

I've got a 7.1 Yamaha receiver in my basement home theatre. I've got four locations with in wall speakers(two behind the sitting area and one of the left and one on the right. The right inwall speaker location is in an wooden enclosure built around a lolly column in the basement. I'm using parasound 8ohm 90W inwall speakers. There is enough room in the wooden enclosure for two speakers, but I have only one speaker wire. Is it possible to connect two of these parasounds to one speaker wire? thanks, JB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-08, 01:52 PM
two speakers on one line

Just thought about the load of 16 OHMs on the receiver if the speakers are wired in series instead of parallel. JB

Old 02-07-08, 05:05 AM
The manual for that Yammy receiver should tell you what the outputs can handle. Sometimes it's listed on the back of the unit near the speaker terminals. If they're rated for 4 ohms you're golden.

Still, it's better to home-run the cables from each speaker to the receiver. Can you use the existing cable to pull two new ones?

Old 02-07-08, 05:52 AM
Rick,

There are too many twists and turns to pull 2 wires through. I will check the Yamaha and see if its 4 ohms. I may just forget it and leave it alone. thanks for you reply. JB

Old 02-07-08, 04:23 PM
I was going to ask you about your setup. It seems kind of unbalanced to have a surround sound system with offset speakers.

Are the four you mentioned all side or rear? Do these include the LCR in front?

I agree with you that you could just leave it alone. If the speaker in the column is closer than the others, turn it down. If it's farther away, turn it up.

Old 02-08-08, 06:28 AM
Rick,

The Yamaha xv 661 has a small microphone that you place in the center of the sitting area and it automatically balances all of the seven speakers. I'm not sure about the sub. I've decided to leave only one parasound 265 in wall speaker in the wooden cabinet. I'm also thinking about lining the inside of the wooden column with egg crate foam. Would you recommend doing that? I've got the three other parasounds in the stud bays through sheetrock. Does it make any sense to line the stud bay with egg crate foam? Thanks, JB

PS these four parasounds are the surround speakers. left and right of the sitting area and two behind the sitting area. The LCR are behind the LCD