Toshiba CF30E50 TV turns itself off

Old 03-29-08, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toshiba CF30E50 TV turns itself off

I have a 13 year old Toshiba CF30E50 television that has worked exceptionally well for the past 12-13 years. However in the past few days the television has started turning itself off and the power indicator is blinking. Pressing the Power Button to turn off/turn on the tv has no effect. Unplugging the power cord and then plugging it back in does cause the tv to turn itself back on for a time. Sometimes the tv will run fine for 30-45 minutes, other times it will repeat all of this in less than 10 minutes. Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this? The TV is plugged into a UPS which can use battery backup or simple power conditioner for output. I have tried totally eleminating the UPS, but this made no difference.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-08, 07:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's the protection circuit shutting off the set. When this circuit senses to much current draw, it will shut itself off. It's too difficult to troubleshoot this over a forum, but a high voltage section of your set is causing this, either in the tube or board.

It maybe time to go TV shopping!

Old 03-29-08, 08:11 PM
Is this type of problem worth possible repairs or is it normally less expensive to just buy a new unit?

Old 03-29-08, 08:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, a typical repair will cost you at least $75-100 usually.

A new typical set will cost you usually over $500 depending on size and type, i.e. LCD, plasma.

They do make a few tube TV's still, but they are getting rare.

It might be worth getting a estimate done on it.....

Old 03-30-08, 01:27 AM
Thank you Mark, you have been extremely helpful. One last question. If have made minor TV repairs on my own in the past; ie replace fuses or tubes (older models). I am in the IT business and frequently work on IT equipment. Could the type of problem be something that a person with my background could take on - or is the most common cause of this type of problem normally a much larger project than what I have outlined above? As I am sure you are aware IT equipment; monitors, computer, routers etc. is extremely susceptible to static or improper grounding procedures and so I have no problem with such isses. Naturally a 30" tube TV is much larger than anything I have previously worked on. I also have repaired vacuum cleaners, blenders, dishwashers and other home appliances.

Thank you very much for your advice and direction.
Ron

Old 07-27-08, 06:35 PM
I have the same problem except my screen is black. Any solutions to this problem ?

Old 07-27-08, 07:03 PM
Maybe you can help me help you.I'm a great TV tech but only soso with PC's.I could send the service manuel to you and point out step by step what to check.I do not know how to go about posting the manuel on here.