digital ready dvd recorder

Old 07-02-08, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am going to purchase a panasonic digital ready dvd recorder.
CurrentlyI have an antenna which I use for reception and it's not the greatest. Is it necessary to buy a HDMI cable? I am finally getting rid of the vcr and I really want a much better picture but I'm not sure if I really need this cable.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-08, 09:05 PM
How much is the DVD recorder? Versus a new cheapo computer? I think your money will be better spent on a computer with a built-in DVR. You won't have to mess with changing DVDs all the time.

HDMI cables are never used to connect an antenna to anything.

Old 07-03-08, 05:44 AM
dvd recorder

I am getting rid of my very old vcr and getting a digital ready dvd recorder so that I will be ready for the digital conversion in 2009. I have been wanted to record from the tv to a dvd for a while and since we have the change coming in 2009 I want to get ready now. Disc hold more than a vhs tape. Better picture quality also. I had heard that getting a HDMI cable would be a good idea for the change over and the quality of the picture

Old 07-04-08, 08:27 PM
HDMI cables: good for digital cable boxes and satellite receivers. Since you can't record HD on your DVD recorder, S-video is probably all you'll need.
Ahhh, but you might also need an OTA antenna for your digital reception signal.

fred

Old 07-05-08, 03:21 PM

The dvd recorder I want is digital tv ready. Since I only use a vcr at the momment to record from the tv will I need to purchase an additon cable or a converter box because I am used to taping on channel while I watch another. I really don't want to get a converter box becuase I thought purchasing the dvd recorder that has a ditital ready tuner it in would be ok. I am told that the converter is only for the tv but I would need to buy a splitter or a converter box. Would a splitter work if I want to watch one channel and record another?

Old 07-06-08, 07:14 AM
Is the TV digital? It will help us answer your question if you tell us the make & model of the TV and the DVD recorder you intend to buy.

Assuming the TV is analog ... If the recorder has a built-in digital tuner you'll need a splitter. One split will feed the DVD and the other will feed the converter box for the TV. You'll probably wind up using analog cables (S-video, as Fred suggested, and RCA audio) to connect the DVD to the TV's line inputs.

Old 07-06-08, 08:19 AM

The Sony tv I have is model KV-20m42
The dvd recorder is a panasonic DMR-EZ28K.

Guess I still have to buy a converter box and a splitter.......
Cheaper than buying a digital tv......
Thanks for your help.

Old 07-06-08, 04:29 PM
dvd recorder

Just a thought. If I buy a digital ready tv all I would have to do is buy digital ready dvd recorder and that way I would not have to worry about a converter box or any extra cables. And would I be able to record from the tv to the dvd recorded and watch another channel while recording another?