Mitsubishi TV Model # CS-35301

Old 07-20-08, 01:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi TV Model # CS-35301

I have a Mitsubishi Television Model CS-35301 that just recently lost its Vertical Hold... My dad and I managed to fix that... but now the TV has lost its Vertical Sweep, displaying only a thin horizontal line across the middle of the screen.

I have no idea how I should go about fixing it, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-08, 08:22 AM
That's going to be the vertical IC or associated circuitry (caps are likely culprits). It could also be a cold solder joint or a connector that needs to be re-seated. Put one hand in your pocket and poke the parts around the area with a wooden dowel.

Old 08-04-08, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the Info. I also found this thread from a while ago... but its the same TV.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=179494

So, now I know what part to buy, I just have no idea where in the TV it goes. What board should I be looking at? And this requires soldering right?

Old 08-31-08, 12:54 AM
Now that you've bought the part ... it may or may not work after you solder it in because one or more of the other components might be the culprit.

Touch up any discolored or dull solder joints while you're at it.

Be sure to use a heat sink if you don't have a lot of soldering experience. Too much heat can damage the new component.

Old 08-31-08, 05:47 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I read though the post,but let me get a little more info to help me help you.
When the tv was rolling what was it you did to repair it?
How long did the tv play correctly after you fixed it before you ended up with the staight line?
Was there any lines or the picture look folded over near the top or bottom?
Fixing a tv is like being a detective,the more info one has makes it easier to find the guilty "part"y.

Old 08-31-08, 11:42 AM
When the tv was rolling, we (my dad and I) did some research online, I'm not sure where he found the forum, but he found another person with the same problem somewhere else. What was said to be the problem was a leaky capacitor on the PiP board.

We could either fix the capacitor or bypass the PiP board by putting some a capacitor and some other circuit thing (can't remember what it was right now, I'll find out exactly what it was later) in the sockets that the board used to plug into. We decided to bypass the board.

It has been less than a year since we fixed it, and yes, the picture was folded over at the top of the screen. it generally went away after a couple of minutes.

Old 08-31-08, 12:08 PM
Bingo! Thats what I needed to know.
Ok ,the foldover at the top is caused by a cap in the vertical circuit and will cause the vertical ic to run hot.If not fixed it shortens the life of the ic.
The ic is bad and you will need to replace the bad cap.Sometimes it will open up a fusible resister,but since you still have sound it most likely will be ok.The cap will be located within a couple of inches of the ic.It will be electrolitic (have a + and- side).There may be two to three of them.You can replace all of them or find the bad one by spraying it with chill spray or canned air while the set is on.It will make the picture shrink when you cool it.
I think the ic is a LA7838.
Need more info just ask.

Old 08-31-08, 02:03 PM
Thank you for the very fast response. My dad and I have found the group of capacitors you were talking about. However, we have no way of testing them to find out which one is bad... I was wondering if you could give us the # of the one that is most likely bad.

Unfortunately we were hoping to have this tv fixed by tonight.... but our local electronics store is most likely closed for the memorial day weekend.... If the bad capacitor shortens the life of the IC, what if I put the new one with its heat sink in, and left the tv open and kept a fan blowing on it temporarily until we can get the new caps? this would keep the IC cool, but would it be safe?

anyone feel free to answer.... I'd really like to get this fixed tonight, got a party planed

Last edited by Mr Zune; 08-31-08 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-31-08, 04:43 PM
When you replace the ic ,power it up and if it comes on ok except for the fold over at top you should be ok till tuesday.

Old 09-01-08, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the help so far, decided to not mess with the tv last night and just used a different one instead. I was wondering if you knew which of the electrolithic capacitors were bad... If you the number of the cap on the board that would be great.

Old 09-01-08, 01:52 PM
No diagrams just going from memory.After you replace the ic let the set power up and warm up a little.Then use can of chill or just can of air and spray it on one cap at a time.They are temp sensitive when going bad.The bad one will affect the picture.

Old 09-01-08, 03:33 PM
Alright, I'll give that a try... would just an air compressor work? I don't have a can of chlil or a can of air...

sorry, I realized that I asked the question about the board # twice...

Old 09-01-08, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
An air compressor will have to much moisture/oil in the air. You can pick up a can of air from most Walgreens, retail stores, etc.