40 Year Old Record Player arm won't move inward.

Old 07-22-08, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
40 Year Old Record Player arm won't move inward.

So, I've inherited my dad's record player and am/fm/8 track player, and I've got it working to the point where I can play a record and have it come out nicely on speakers. The only problem is that the arm only moves in so far before it hits a bit of resistance from a spring internally and refuses to move any closer than (approximately) 1.5'' from the center.

This is a problem, because my records now won't play the last little bit, and it just skips over and over. If I put pressure down with my finger (slightly), I can work it through, but if I take my finger off, it just moves out to the skipping point again.

My record player has no counterweight, and it looks like what I'm going to have to do is open it up and attempt to move what's giving my record player arm resistance. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Pictures to come if they're requested.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-08, 04:07 PM

Old 07-22-08, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
Wow, a serious museum piece. There really should be nothing preventing the tonearm from moving all the way to the center. My guess would be there is debris of some kind that is obstructing the free movement. Time to get inside and have a look.

BTW, the pics show it in the 78 rpm position; is that just coincidence or are you actually playing 78's?

Old 07-22-08, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
There is a possibility that the tower that supports the tonearm has twisted away from the center of the turntable.

See if the mount that supports the tonearm will move.

Old 07-22-08, 08:28 PM
My aging memory tells me that there was some kind of limiting screw adjustment under the tone arm where it mounts to the table. It had something to do with the changer trigger. Backing it out too much caused the tone arm to skip across the label and bounce off the changer post.

Old 07-23-08, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
Good point, Rick; I forgot about that. We're all showing our ages here.

Old 07-23-08, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
My aging memory tells me that there was some kind of limiting screw adjustment under the tone arm where it mounts to the table. It had something to do with the changer trigger. Backing it out too much caused the tone arm to skip across the label and bounce off the changer post.
There IS a type of screw there; I don't think it fixes my problem, however. I've tried tightening and loosening it, but it hasn't done anything so far.

Old 07-23-08, 02:12 PM

The problem is the wire (1) poking through the top (2), which is providing the resistance. I guess I'm going to have to remove it in order to fix it.

Old 07-24-08, 05:15 AM
That wire should be routed up into the arm, away from the mechanism. It looks like someone took it apart at one time and accidentally pulled the wires down. There's probably some slack in the wires under the table.