VCR Repair

Old 07-26-08, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
VCR Repair

Ihave an older Sony SLV-R5UC VCR that is grabbing and holding the tape when it ejects the holder. Trying to release the tape from inside of the compartment runs the risk of tearing the tape. Is there a relatively simple fix for this that I can do without taking it into a service center?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-08, 12:41 PM
VCR Repair

Before taking it to a repair shop, consider buying a new one. Repairs on obsolete equipment is not cheap.

If you just play, look into a combination CD/VCR player. - I bought a usable one (name brand) from Best Buy for $59.95.

Dick

Old 07-26-08, 01:55 PM
It's been awhile but I'll try to decsribe what to do as best I can from memory.
Take the top off the vcr.Looking from the front of the vcr,you will see a black round roller about an inch long on the right side.Close to that there is a chrome "L'" shaped part with a spring under it.It will have one side standing up.This pulls the tape up to where the "pinch roller can grab it"<black roller>.
It's probably leaving the tape stuck around the black roller when you eject the tape.The chrome lever is supposed to move freely with the spring always pulling it back.In sony vcrs the grease will become sticky and this part will be stiff to move causing the vcr to eat tapes.You should be able to push the lever with your finger and the spring should easily pull it back in place.The fix is to take the nut off the lever,clean the old grease off and reinstall it.It should be easy to move now.Problem fixed!

Old 07-28-08, 07:26 AM
I have bought a new VCR/DVD, but wanted to give this one to a senior who might be able to use it if it could be repaired. I will attempt to make the repair that craftsman_50 recommended and hope that this will work. If this does not solve the problem I will request some additional possibilities. Thank you.