Intercom System not Working

Old 07-27-08, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intercom System not Working

Our new home has a Nutone 3003 intercom system. The main unit and only one remote station work. Three others do not work. Does anyone know where I can get some info on this system?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-08, 05:10 AM
Open the door on the master unit and make sure the speaker select switches inside the door are set to Intercom.

Download the user manual here.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 07-28-08 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Add link to manual
Old 07-30-08, 06:40 AM
I set all to radio/intercom and also tried just intercom. Only one remote appears to work, the one in the master bedroom. The other three remotes do not appear to work. I checked the wiring. Do the remote speakers go bad? Seems like a long shot.

Old 07-31-08, 04:35 AM
Swap the wiring in the master: Remove the wires from the known-working port. Take a pair from a non-working station and put it on the port that works. If it works, there's something wrong with the master's other ports.

If it doesn't work, put the wiring back where it was and move the working station to one of the non-working locations. If it works, you have a bad station. If it doesn't, suspect the wiring.

Remove the wires from both ends of a non-working station and twist the wires at one end together. At the other end, use a multimeter set to ohms to read the resistance. It should read close to zero. If it doesn't, you have a break in the wires. Now separate the wires you twisted together. Read the line again. The meter should read OL or in the millions of ohms. If you have zero ohms or close to it, the line is shorted somewhere.

Check the stations by removing the wiring and connecting an MP3 player or other sound-generating device directly to the speaker. (Alligator clip leads are great for this.) If it doesn't work, the speaker is bad. This isn't common, but depending on age, the voice coil inside the speaker could be "frozen".

Let us know what you find.

Old 08-01-08, 07:25 AM
Great trouble shooting ideas. I'll do them this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Old 08-03-08, 05:33 PM
One remote worked after I switched it to a new port. Two of the other ones were all wired OK. I put a know good remote in place of the bad remote and it worked fine. I was able to measure AC voltage variations at the specker of the bad unit but no sound. Is the a way to un-freeeze the voice coil or do I need to get some 5" speakers?Mark

Old 08-04-08, 04:12 AM
There is no way I know of to repair a voice coil. Corrosion over time and heat combine to either expand the coil, preventing its movement, or force it out of round, again preventing its movement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those are 45-ohm speakers. You probably won't find them at the local Radio Shack. Nutone still makes compatible stations for that unit.

Old 08-05-08, 07:01 AM
The stamp on the back of the speaker says 25 ohms. They are almost 5" in diameter but not quite. Do you know of anywhere that may sell just the speaker? I'm sure that Nutone wants much more than the unit is worth.

Old 08-06-08, 04:26 AM
My aging memory got them confused with the 45-ohm devices used in Nurse Call equipment.

Unfortunately I don't know where you could get a 25-ohm speaker other than a Nutone distributor. A quick search shows them at around $50, which is outrageous. Then again, its a proprietary device. An 8- or 16-ohm speaker could overload the amp when all speakers are playing music or listening to an all-call.

Old 08-06-08, 07:00 PM
I was thinking of putting a 20 ohm resistor in series with a 4 or 8 ohms coil. It would decrease the volume but I think it could work just fine. Any idea where the inexpensive speakers can be found nowadays?

Old 08-07-08, 05:08 AM
You might poke around at

www.mcmelectronics.com
or
www.partsexpress.com