Difference in ideal rg6 compression tips.

Old 07-28-08, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Difference in ideal rg6 compression tips.

I was wondering. I purchased a ideal 30-603 compression tool to wire my new living room for TV cable a little easier. I had originally called the cable guy and he came over and gave me a estimate for him to do the work. I wasn't happy with the quote and decided to do it myself. However being a really nice cable guy he gave me about 15 rg6 tips and 15 barrel connectors to do the job. When he gave them to me he told me that the purple rg6 tips where the best. I simply wanted to research it a little and have yet to find anything anywhere talking about the differences. I've seen blue, black, red, and purple. Does anyone know the differences in these?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-08, 12:15 AM
The only difference I see from the ones I use is the rubber "o" ring. There are many different types,but they are all water proof.The ones at the big box stores are nice but I can buy 2 to 3 times as many for the same price on e-bay.

Old 07-29-08, 05:30 AM
Near as I can tell, the different colors are used to identify cables. I don't know anyone who uses them for that reason.

Old 07-29-08, 03:00 PM
the difference in the colors are as follows, orange=rg59 blue=rg6,purple=rg6 quad shield. purple will work on regular rg6 but does not make a secure seal,meaning you can pull it off with your hands after compression. quad shield cable means you have 2 layers of foil,and 2 layers of braid,which is ideal if you have signal leakage problems(off air interfereing with cable signal) usually depending on your type of cable you will use the blue fittings.

the fittings are not water proof. yes it will prevent cable from getting in between the actuall cable and the inside of the fittings,but it water is getting there then it will get in the opening of the fitting where the conductor is causing water to get inside the cable which is bad. if your connectors are getting wet, may want to see about getting a plastic box to mount your connections in on the outside of your house (ask your cable company, should be free)

these fittings are better then the "radio shack" twist on or crimp on kind hands down....as long as you have the tool to put them on with!

Old 07-30-08, 03:45 AM
Our shop has an assortment of compression connectors for 58, 59, 6, 6quad, and 11. The shop manager bought "sample kits" for each cable. Each kit has several different colors.

If the plastic bags they came in ever rip, we're all in big trouble!

(Okay, not really in big trouble. RG11 are easy to ID by their size. The rest of the connectors can be identified by the size of the sheath that covers & guides the dielectric.)

I would prefer it if they standardized the color codes, but it seems that different manufacturers have different schemes.

Old 08-03-08, 06:56 AM
I know that Ideal use Black for Quad and Blue for RG6.

Jeremy