C-Band and Impact of DTV Conversion 2/17/2009

Old 08-06-08, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
C-Band and Impact of DTV Conversion 2/17/2009

Hi all,
I'm hoping there are some C-Band satellite folks out there...

Does anyone know of the Digital TV Conversion impact on C-Band satellite reception? I know there are DTV C-Band satellite receivers and was wondering if the same impact on OTA Antenna reception was going to occur with our C-Band reception i.e. no signal being broadcast on Analog C-Band after 2/17/2009.
I know it's a different technology but I've definitely noticed a continuing 'disappearance' of previous feeds and channels on C-Band the past few years.

Thanks,
Greynold99

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-08, 05:05 PM
The digital transition only applies to terrestrial OTA. 2/17/2009 is when major analog terrestrial broadcasts get turned off.

C-band has been transitioning to digital for years, many channels digital only. No analog satellite channel is required by law to turn off, they will do so on their own as market or other forces decide.

Old 08-06-08, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by greynold99 View Post
Hi all,
I'm hoping there are some C-Band satellite folks out there...

Does anyone know of the Digital TV Conversion impact on C-Band satellite reception? I know there are DTV C-Band satellite receivers and was wondering if the same impact on OTA Antenna reception was going to occur with our C-Band reception i.e. no signal being broadcast on Analog C-Band after 2/17/2009.
I know it's a different technology but I've definitely noticed a continuing 'disappearance' of previous feeds and channels on C-Band the past few years.

Thanks,
Greynold99
Time for the aluminum scrap pile,

get a 'lil dish
(tooooo much programmining has been removed)
fred

Old 08-06-08, 08:14 PM
Much C-band programming, hasn't been removed, just gone digital, albeit some of it not available to home viewers.

Old 08-06-08, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
Much C-band programming, hasn't been removed, just gone digital, albeit some of it not available to home viewers.
\Bottom line: it's not worth upgrading a C-band system .

fred

Old 08-07-08, 07:30 AM
Followup C-Band question specific to PBS on T4 Ch16

Ok! I had pretty much decided to migrate to Dish or DirecTV since cable TV is not an option... just comparing the 2 and current special offers.

However, I do like watching the raw PBS feed on C-Band Spacenet 4 Ch16 compared to the way local PBS stations change or pre-empt national broadcast stream with local offerings...
I've tried to find out if PBS wll transition to digital satellite feed but am not able to get past the automated response system they in place at www.pbs.org.
Anyone know or heard?
Thanks
Greynold99

Old 08-07-08, 11:31 AM
There are free digital PBS feeds around. I don't know how long PBS-X will last in analog though.