Best VHF Indoor Antenna solution?

Old 08-10-08, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Best VHF Indoor Antenna solution?

I am living on first floor in apt. in San Diego and looking for temporary solution to get VHF/UHF TV off-air reception. I tried a Philips MANT310 indoor antenna which has folded dipoles for VHF, a loop for UHF, and a 32 dB amp. It gave decent, strong signal on only Chs.8 and 10, but had several Ghost trailing the main image. UHF is low signal strength. For VHF, I think the signal is bouncing off buildings in area. It seems that my result would be much better if the dipole rabbit ears were more directional like outdoor antennas are.

Does any one have a reasonable (< $50) solution to getting directional VHF on a indoor antenna, along with directional UHF.

Thanks much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-08, 03:43 PM
It' been years since I used an indoor ant. But you might try placing it close to a window.

Old 08-10-08, 04:33 PM
That antenna should pick up a boatload of stations.

Make sure all of your cables are tight and making good connections.

Are you on the 1st-floor inside courtyard of a multi-story building? Forget it. Your only hope is to convince the landlord to allow to to place an antenna on the roof, or tap into the existing.

Old 08-11-08, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by justdoit007 View Post
I am living on first floor in apt. in San Diego and looking for temporary solution to get VHF/UHF TV off-air reception. For VHF, I think the signal is bouncing off buildings in area. It seems that my result would be much better if the dipole rabbit ears were more directional like outdoor antennas are.

Does any one have a reasonable (< $50) solution to getting directional VHF on a indoor antenna, along with directional UHF.

Thanks much in advance.
[Edit: A number of suppliers have] just introduced several new indoor antennas that have greatly improved performance, power and aesthetics.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 08-11-08 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Blatant advertising is not allowed.
Old 08-11-08, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys. I am on the first floor of 3 story apt. With northern exposure to pool, but surrounded by more 3 story apts. My signal should be coming from the south, so I pretty am toast as you guys are saying. Anyway, I gave up and ordered basic cable. Too much trouble finding the best solution.

I seriously doubt if this place will let me put antenna on roof. Great idea however.

Thanks anyway.