Digimate 26" LCD TV without power

Old 08-11-08, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Digimate 26" LCD TV without power

Hi Guys, My 92 year old mom was watching baseball on her TV last evening when it suddenly went black. She thought at first there was a local power outage, but there wasn't. Today I checked the power source (ok), checked that both ends of the power cable were plugged in properly, replaced the 2 AAA batteries in the remote and still dead as a nit. The red power light on the front isn't even coming on. I can't see a reset button or a fuse and I don't mind going inside for a look but the only test equipment I have is an ohmmeter. Did some electronics work years ago. I suspect it's the PS or a maybe a fuse. Is this something worth fixing or should we look at getting her an new TV. She can't be without her baseball fix for long or she gets cranky! Any comments are appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-08, 11:23 AM
The hardest part on fixing the new lcd tv's is taking the back off.Pull the back,check for blown fuse.First just try replacing the fuse if its blown.If it blows again replace the power supply module.These sets are all modular,no component replacement.
Usually you can find a usable part # on the board itself.But be sure to shop around for the replacements as prices vary greatly between part suppliers.
If you have a hard time finding the part,just post the make and model and I'll help you out.

Old 08-12-08, 10:37 AM
Thanks Craftsman; However, before I read your reply I took the TV into a TV repair shop down the street. I got a call this AM from them asking where I bought it. They tell me it has PS issues and it appears they are having trouble with their supplier in Mississauga (Toronto) finding the correct parts needed. I told them we got this "Digimate" from Future Shop 2 years ago and (it was the last one and they weren't carrying it anymore) and I should have known better than to buy the cheap one. The import company is http://emiglobal.com They are an Irvine CA company. I believe they imported this TV from Asia and maybe even put the brand name on it. The repair shop told me to leave it with them for a day or so, while they will try and find some parts to fix it. If I get part #'s I will post them here. Thanks again for your hepl. Cheers, Mike

Old 08-23-08, 08:18 PM
An update of sorts. The local repair shop can't seem to find any replacement parts. They say it's not the power supply but a modular board off the PS that's gone bad. They seem to have a dozen or so "no name" brand LCD TV's on the shop floor all awaiting it's mate to come in so they can salvage some parts to repair one of them. I have tried calling the EMI Global company of California that imports this Digimate TV and all I can get is their answering machine that says "Please leave your phone # and a description of your problem and a tech will call you back". You know something... I don't think they have any tech's. I also tried to contact the Digimate Company in the UK, but both their phone #'s don't work and their website sucks. So, I will pay the repair shop the $25 for their diagnostic fee and bring it home as a bench weight for the garage. Meanwhile, we went out today and bought a 32" Sony KLD32L4000 at Sears. Something we should have done 2 years ago perhaps? Now at least mother can see the BlueJays beat the Red Sox in HD again. Cheers, Mike