The picture on my 46" Sony Big Screen TV is fadeing/bluring away

Old 08-18-08, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The picture on my 46" Sony Big Screen TV is fadeing/bluring away

I have a 46" Sony Big Screen TV - 8 Yrs. Old
Picture is starting to "blur". The picture still comes in, it just looks like it is starting to blur/fade. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be and how to fix it? I greatly appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-08, 11:22 AM
First thing I would do is pull the front screen off and clean the mirror and lenses.

Old 08-18-08, 04:36 PM
yea i can do that but also like when you wach sports for example, the writing on top kinda insteasd of going straight from right to left, it goes stright then starts going diagonally! Do you know why that is? The picture is also kind of brown, like the old movies...

Old 08-18-08, 04:58 PM
Post the model # and I'll be able to give a better answer.The picture looking like an old B&W movie is a good sign the CRT's are aging equally.That is a good thing.On that ,you might try turning the color up some.

Old 08-18-08, 05:45 PM
I really appreciate the help. The model number is Sony kp-46c70 . i lost the remote control so i am gonna have to do it manually. I also forgot to mention that any writing that comes up on tv has a shadow to it. Let me know!

Old 08-18-08, 08:52 PM
Lets try the easy fix first.
Looking from the front of your set ,the last button on the left is the "flashfocus".Press it . If it doen't fix the problem let me know what it does.ETC...doesn't work at all,starts to work and quits,what colors flash on the screen.

The remote for your tv is part # RMY906

Old 08-18-08, 10:11 PM
Thank you..yea i tried the flash focus thing, what i see is a + sign in the middle and green squares flash on the four sides, then same thing with red, then when it starts doing the blue, it quits, it does this twice and when the blue comes again, it stops. I also notice that when the green is flashing, the center + sign has a red shadow, when the red is flashing, the + is focused with almost no shadow, and with the blue squares, the center + i cant tell, it quits too soon.

When i watch tv and focus on the scrren, i feel that the colors r composed of more than one layer (i see mainly red layer and blue layer) with the blue layer feels like its pulled away from the red layer and not alligned with it and hence the blue shadows. I am not sure if i am making sence. let me know

Old 08-18-08, 11:03 PM
ok let me explain the blue color i see a little bit more. You know, the screen is rectangular, the two shorter sides look normal, but when you look at the two longer top and bottom longer sides, you notice the problem. From the middle of the screeb on the top side and from the middle of the bottom side, you can see the blue color (layer?) shrunk inward, making like a "butterfly" shape. I hope that helps!

Old 08-19-08, 08:52 AM
with that said, i am thinking it is probably a color convergence issue/problem?

Old 08-19-08, 11:21 AM
The blue convergence IC1506 is bad.Generic part # STK392-150.
Be sure to shop around ,they run from $6 -$30 depending on who you order from.
It's a good idea to go ahead and replace the red while your at it.

Old 08-19-08, 12:07 PM
Well that's great. But now, where do i order it from? And once i get it, can you tell me how to replace it? You know, i really appreciate all of this help! Thank you!

Old 08-19-08, 04:53 PM
Just inter the part # in search on the pc.You'll get a lot of places.You may have to look because some places have a minimum order.You can even get them on e-bay.
The old parts have to be unsoldered and the new one soldered in.Had any practice at soldering?

Old 08-19-08, 06:18 PM
Thank u..well i dont know what you mean by soldering so i guess i have no experience with it . What does it mean?

Old 08-19-08, 06:42 PM
I found this article online, can you tell me what you think of it? If it is good and i should follow the procedure, can you tell me what the guy means in the term "heat sink". and do i need to buy the pico fuses he is talking about? Also i read somewhere that i should replace the STK392-150 to STK392-180, is that true? Does the red convergence have same part number? I know these are many questions, and i really appreciate your help!

http://www.techlore.com/blog/entry/1...rted-picture-/

Old 08-19-08, 09:22 PM
Heat Sink is the metal plate usually with fins that the IC's are mounted to in order to help dissapaite the heat.These parts run hot and that is normal.
NEVER use a different part from what is in your set.The parts he mentions are higher wattage but they draw more power from your power supply than what it was designed for and will cause damage to the power supply.
These are classified as "high failure" parts.But only because almost every big screen projector will have this problem at sometime in its life.
The $6 ICs are just as good as the exspensive original replacement.
The really old sonys would sometimes blow the fuse but it's not a pico fuse.Don't worry your set is not that old.
Very rarely will the IC completely short and blow the fuses he mentioned.One would have to watch the distorted picture most of the football season for that to happen.
I have never seen a set need to replace these parts more than one time in the life of the set.That is if you replace both ICs at the same time,and I use the $6 parts.

Old 08-19-08, 09:30 PM
Since you don't know about soldering ,your not going to be able to do this yourself.You might ask a friend or niehbor.People might surprize you on what they can do that you don't know about.
Any more questions just ask.

Old 08-20-08, 03:31 AM
Thank you so much Craftman..I will order the pieces and work on it and i'll let you know how it goes. It may take me a while but ill email reply to this post again as soon as i figure it out. Once again, thank you and have a great week!

Old 08-20-08, 05:51 AM
Moderator's note: JRemsing's questions have been moved to a new thread here: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=356911

Old 08-20-08, 09:42 AM
You know, i already have questions . So i got the blue converger part number, but i plan to change them all. How many are there? I know there is a red one, but is there other ones like green for example? What are the generic part numbers for them . Thank you!

Old 08-20-08, 11:23 AM
There is only two and they both are the same part #.One is for red and half of green,the other is for blue and the 0ther have of green.

Old 08-20-08, 03:43 PM
Thank you very much Craftsman !