Installing TV Antenna Cable?

Old 08-22-08, 12:09 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I need to install a TV Antenna in my attic.
The cable needs to come down an outside wall to the kitchen.
The outside wall has bat type insulation that is stapled to each side of the studs.
Any advise on how to do this would be appreciated.
Is this possible for a novice to do?

Old 08-22-08, 09:27 PM
C
Can you explain your situation a little better.The reason the antenna HAS to go in the attic and the cable HAS to go in an outside wall.
I might be able to give some alternate method to accomplish what you need if I knew more.
You can use a fiberglass fishing tool to push through the insulation.

Old 08-23-08, 06:53 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The method is the same whether it's on an interior wall or an exterior wall: Drill a hole in the top plate, cut an access hole in the wall at the wall plate location, insert a fish tape or push rod between your access points, connect your cable, and pull it through the wall.

Two issues that normally come up on exterior walls: Space is limited in the attic at the top plate (unless your wall is on the gable side) and the insulation will tear and bind.

If you're on one of the sloped sides, a right-angle drill can help a lot.

A push rod is generally better than a fish tape at gracefully penetrating the insulation. When you attach the cable to the tape or rod, tape it very well into a cone shape so it will move smoothly through the insulation without grabbing it.

Old 08-23-08, 08:04 AM
A

Thanks for your help!

This push rod, I assume, can be purched at Home Depot or Lowes?

Originally Posted by Rick Johnston
The method is the same whether it's on an interior wall or an exterior wall: Drill a hole in the top plate, cut an access hole in the wall at the wall plate location, insert a fish tape or push rod between your access points, connect your cable, and pull it through the wall.

Two issues that normally come up on exterior walls: Space is limited in the attic at the top plate (unless your wall is on the gable side) and the insulation will tear and bind.

If you're on one of the sloped sides, a right-angle drill can help a lot.

A push rod is generally better than a fish tape at gracefully penetrating the insulation. When you attach the cable to the tape or rod, tape it very well into a cone shape so it will move smoothly through the insulation without grabbing it.

Old 08-23-08, 08:53 AM
C
The push rod is the fiberglass tool I mentioned.Yes they can be purchased there.
I'm to big of a person and my attic is to small for me to get to the plate on the sloped side of my home.If you run into an access problem,just post back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: