Bose system no sound

Old 08-27-08, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bose system no sound

I have a Bose lifestyle 18 series2 system. The receiver seems to work fine but I think I'm having a problem with my amp/bass unit or as they call it Acoustimass module. As I said the receiver comes on and plays cd/dvd's but I get no sound. Can someone give me some idea on testing it with an ohm meter or another simple method. Also are there any common problems with these units?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-08, 11:53 AM
Sorry, I failed to mention that all the wiring seems to be fine.

Old 08-27-08, 04:58 PM
On most stereo equipment when the sound quits it's in the amp.You might try taking the top off and look for blown speaker protect fuses.

Old 08-27-08, 07:35 PM
Unplug it from the AC power for a couple of minutes and then plug it back in. Unless there's a hardware issue it should reboot.

Have you visited the Bose website troubleshooting section? They have very good customer service.

Old 08-28-08, 06:53 AM
Thanks I'll see if I can check the fuses. Yes, I have unpluged everything. In fact I have taken all of the conections loose, power plugs, speakers, everything and reconected them all and still nothing. I'll try the bose link also thanks.

Old 08-28-08, 07:05 AM
Bose site pretty much useless, other than providing and 800 number. It doesn't tell me any more than my owners manual. I'm going to talk with them and see what they have to say. Thanks for your info.

Old 08-29-08, 05:30 AM
Sorry I couldn't offer more specific help.

Bose plays it very close to the vest and doesn't make public their technical info and "known issues". They don't want to air dirty laundry and take a chance that it will affect the brand that their Marketing Department has built over the years.

It's nearly impossible to pin them down on installation specs for their commercial series of equipment. That's why many system designers shy away from their products for commercial use.

Old 08-29-08, 08:38 AM
Traditionally, their Acoustimass module actually contains the crossover electronics for your speakers, not the "receiver" unit. You might want to check it first for anything obvious (fuse, bad wiring, etc). They are notoriously difficult to service however.

Bose is extremely overpriced, but as a result I've heard of them doing some nice warranty support for owners - especially since they ultimately want you to come back and purchase another overpriced speaker system in a few years.

Old 08-30-08, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
Traditionally, their Acoustimass module actually contains the crossover electronics for your speakers, not the "receiver" unit.
It also houses the power amplifiers for all of the speakers.

Bose is extremely overpriced, but as a result I've heard of them doing some nice warranty support for owners
My dealings with them on behalf of our customers have always been productive. We send the stuff back to the factory, though, because local shops can't get the info they need to fix it and the big box stores that sell it won't service it.