Digital TV Question

Old 10-05-08, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Digital TV Question

Hi All:
We, the family plans to purchase 'Digital TV,' and I saw a fairly good one at Target. The TV I want to purchase is Memorex, 20" combination TV/DVD Player with built in ATSC Tuner.

As much as possible, we, the famiy wants the brand new and digital TV is VERY similar to the current TV, Sharp 20".

One major concern is whether the Memorex 20" which we are forced to switch due to the coming February that became all TVs needed to be 'Digital' is very similar to the current TV 20" Sharp? Also, we want to regular sound, ... not 'Stereo' type sound.

Thanks for any helps on this in advance.

Old 10-05-08, 11:08 AM
C
Unless you , the family , are using only an antenna to recieve the channels your watching , then the change will not effect you.

Old 10-05-08, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
And if you do get TV over an antenna, a converter is cheap, especially with the coupons available from the government here....
https://www.dtv2009.gov/ApplyCoupon.aspx

If yer happy with your 20" TV (ack..sorry, can't imagine that anymore), then why spend more than necessary.

Old 10-06-08, 09:58 AM
Thanks both for the responses.

Yes, ... we, the family too agree as to using 'converters.'

In my household, there are three(3) TVs, two is faily old, about 6-7 years old, the other one is about 2 years old. Recently, we watch a lot of TVs due to economical downturn and also this coming Election, then pictures of older two TVs started fading, ... not really bad, but are needed to replace sooner or later.

Yesterday, we tested the above-mentioned TV, Memorex Digital TV. Picutres is better than the older, regular TVs, but sound is NOT deeper, then we plan to return it soon.

My another question is,
We are more likely 'Flat-Panel TV' which is more costly, but first, ....
Which Digital TV would you, guys recommend?

Thanks any help and suggestions in advance.

Old 10-06-08, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by PineCone View Post
Thanks both for the responses.

Yes, ... we, the family too agree as to using 'converters.'

In my household, there are three(3) TVs, two is faily old, about 6-7 years old, the other one is about 2 years old. Recently, we watch a lot of TVs due to economical downturn and also this coming Election, then pictures of older two TVs started fading, ... not really bad, but are needed to replace sooner or later.

Yesterday, we tested the above-mentioned TV, Memorex Digital TV. Picutres is better than the older, regular TVs, but sound is NOT deeper, then we plan to return it soon.

My another question is,
We are more likely 'Flat-Panel TV' which is more costly, but first, ....
Which Digital TV would you, guys recommend?

Thanks any help and suggestions in advance.
A newer flat panel with tuner won't need no converter box.
Just an antenna for OTA!!!!

fred

Old 10-07-08, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by fewalt View Post
A newer flat panel with tuner won't need no converter box.
Just an antenna for OTA!!!!

fred
Thanks for the opinion on this.

Just wonder whether quality is same, at least similar to the older TV that we, the family wants. Sound and picture is same as older model of TV?

Thanks,

Old 10-07-08, 07:12 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Although many video "purists" will argue that no new technology delivers as good a picture as a quality CRT type television, for the vast majority of people, either LCD or plasma displays deliver perfectly acceptable reception. Assuming your old TV's are standard definition, then YES, a new HDTV will display a much better picture than you are currently used to. Obviously you will pay a lot more for a similar sized television, and you will have to accept a widescreen display in any of the new flat panel TV's.

The sound will probably be worse than what you are used to with an older TV. The new slimline enclosures just don't leave much room for speakers. The manufacturers assume most folks will be connecting new flat screen TV's to stereo/surround sound systems.

Old 10-07-08, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post

The sound will probably be worse than what you are used to with an older TV. The new slimline enclosures just don't leave much room for speakers. The manufacturers assume most folks will be connecting new flat screen TV's to stereo/surround sound systems.
Thanks for the informative response.

The digital TV is: Memorex, 20" combination TV/DVD Player with built in ATSC Tuner

The TV, Memorex 20", .... we actually love the picture more than the older TVs. It's sharp and crisp to touch. However, the sound is NEVER like the older TVs, all of which has deeper, ... simply put, ... a good sound we love to listen. Because, most of time we turning on the TVs while doing the computers and other tasks.

Then, my question is;
Whether some accomodation, like sound systems to the Memorex remedy/fix the sound of Memorex delivers?

Thanks,

Old 10-07-08, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately, you will not get great sound quality out of any new TV nowadays, as most customers want the "surround sound" experience and will be adding their own sound system, so manufacturers skimp on the built-in speaker systems on new TV's. The days of great sound out of the old 25" console TV in the living room are long gone.

Here are some options for you to consider to deliver better sound from your Memorex TV:

If your TV has audio output jacks (red/white RCA style jacks on the back labeled 'audio out') then you can route the sound to a small stereo system for improved sound quality.

If there is only a headphone jack and no audio output jacks, then you might want to consider using a computer speaker system, one of the better units with a powered subwoofer, and plugging that into the headphone jack on the TV.

If your combo TV/DVD player has a digital output jack on the back (either coaxial or optic) you could route the sound through a 5.1 channel amplifier and speakers, for truly great sound, but this approach is going to cost more than you paid for the TV. Also, it will work only when playing DVD's, not when just watching TV.

Old 10-07-08, 09:48 AM
Thanks again for the VERY knowledgeable and helpful response to my query.

Here is lists of 'Location of Controls' on the Memorex Digital TV.

FRONT:
1. Disk Tray 2. Remote Sensor 3. MENU Button 4. Disc Tray OPEN/CLOSE Buttons 5. Volume +/- Buttons 6. PLAY/PAUSE Button 7. STOP Button 8. Channel +/- Buttons 9. SKIP Buttons 10. TV/av/dvd bUTTON 11. power indicator 12. Power Button 13. Screen 14. audio/video 2 in Jacks

REAR;
1. Video Output Jack 2. COMPONENT IN Jacks(Y/Cb/Cr) 3. Audio OUT Jacks 4. COAXIAL Output Jack 5. Video 1 IN Jack 6. Audio 1 IN Jack 7. TV Antenna Jack

Right side of Front of the TV: there are three outputs, one for 'Video' and two for : L - Audio - R

As much, we, the family want desperately to keep this, Memorex 20 Digital TVs, then,

My questions are;
(1) We, the family wants as similar sound as possible to older TVs. Then, which Speaker with brand should I purchase at local store?

(2) As described the above, which place/output should I put 'Audio?' Front or Rear?

Many thanks for your help.

Old 10-07-08, 11:40 AM
The two Audio Output jacks on the rear of the TV are what you will need to use. One should be red, the other should be white. Make sure it specifies audio OUT, not audio IN.

The output level from the TV is not sufficient to power a speaker by itself. You will also need a separate amplifier or receiver to provide the power to the speakers. The easiest thing to do would be to buy a small "compact" stereo system which has a set of auxiliary inputs on it. You would connect a standard audio stereo cable between the audio OUTS on the TV to the audio/auxiliary IN jacks on the stereo, and turn the stereo's input selector to the auxiliary position. If money is a concern, you can often find perfectly serviceable small stereo systems at garage sales and on internet sites like Craig's List. You will need to make room not only for the two separate speakers, but also the receiver. But the sound you get with this kind of set-up will be much better and more spacious than from the tinny speakers they put in the TV.

I'm sorry, but I can't think of any simpler and cheaper way of getting significantly better sound from this type of TV. Maybe someone else will chime in with an idea I haven't thought of yet.

Old 10-09-08, 02:16 PM
Thanks again for all the responses. I really appreciate it.

Today, I got 'Home Stereo System' through a friend of mine
who is NOT able to understand a complexity of hooking-up.

Then, my question is;
While hooking-up 'Home Theater/Stero System' on the back of the Digital TV, is it possible to use/record VCR?
Because, we, the family needs to record some programs for later use/watch, that is VERY easy by using old TV.

If can, how to do that?

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: