AKAI LCT42Z7TA no display and no Sound

Old 10-19-08, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AKAI LCT42Z7TA no display and no Sound

I have an AKAI LCT42Z7TA TV.

This morning I watched TV this afternoon nothing.

I turn on the TV the Red LED Turns green but I never get any video or sound.

I didn't have any brown outs or voltage spikes and I have the TV connected to a UPS that also has a surge protector for filtering.

Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-08, 08:48 PM
First thing to try with any of todays electronics is to unplug it for awhile to let it try reset itself and try it again.If that does not do it,check your inputs.If that is not it then let me know what kind of DIY skills you have and if you want to try to fix it yourself.

Old 10-19-08, 11:32 PM
Your suggestions are the first thing I tried.
I unplugged the TV for 10 minutes then plugged it back in and the same result.

I also tried the TV with no imputs hoping to get the mesage "NO INPUT" which should put the TV in automatic standby mode or Red LED.

But I always get the same symptom a Red LED turning green but no sound or Video. And the LED stays Green.

My skills are:
Aviation electronics on communications, Navigation and radar systems. I trouble shot these systems down to the component level.

But with that said I did try a visual inspection of the TV and had a hard time getting the back cover off in fear of breaking the lower left corner. I could not seem to seperate the 2.

All of it seemed to be fairly easy; is there some kind of locking device or entry tell tale that prevents me from opening the back?

Old 10-20-08, 04:32 AM
LOL,Thats the thing I always tell people about flat panel tv'.Taking the back off is the hardest part of fixing these things.Your starting off just right.Look for electrolitic caps with the tops exspanded out.Caps seem to be the number 1 problem with these sets.Also check all the fuses.There are a lot of pico fuses scattered everywhere in these sets.Post back and let me know what you found if one of these is not the problem I'll tell you what to look for next.

Old 10-20-08, 06:11 PM
Got it I will try that when I get back from a company trip on Friday.

I also read on another post about disconnecting leads to the other boards for isolation. I will ensure it is on a particular board before I post back.

In the event I have to replace the Power Board any ideas where I can get one I check the Internet and every link for this TV says it is out of production and not available.

My concern is if the board was cooked or is the voltage low enough not to cause serious damage to the boards?

Thank you for your help.

Old 10-21-08, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good luck getting any parts for this brand. There is a very bad reputation for this brand television here on these forums. Members were unable to get any type of tech support or order parts for the most part. Most had to throw these sets away.

I believe it's a set SAMs or a BJ wholesaler sold?

Old 10-24-08, 08:02 PM
I discovered that as well when I contacted AKAI the reply was they were expereincing a high volume of email and they are answering them in the order received.

I don't know which number I am but I have a sinking feeling H.E. double toothpicks will freeze over before I get a response.

But my better half did find a TV repair shop that will honor the warranty and perform the repair for free.

If this fails I will brush off the dust on my electronic skills and get it working.

Old 01-03-09, 12:06 AM
Update:
It has been over 2 months and I have come to find out AKAI does not have any of thier own Customer Service Reps in the US they contract them out to ES Intl.

I can't get the parts or a hold of the CS Rep to get my TV replaced or my money back even though it still remains under warranty.

So I am working with the rpair shop to get the TV back and begin troubleshooting although thier technicians claim the faulty component is not visible. But I am not sure of thier experience or capabilities.

Old 01-03-09, 04:39 AM
Wow! It would be hard to replace an " invisible " part!
The power supply is most likely the problem.....part # E7801-P02004 .None of the parts suppliers I use show it in stock and some list it as no longer available.
When you get the set back look for part # printed on the board.It will be the original manufactorers number and may be available from them.