Set top box codes

Old 11-28-08, 08:21 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Set top box codes

I picked up a Sony DVD recorder and I need the code for a Scientific Atlanta cable box Explorer 4250HD so the recorder can turn on the cable box to record at a specific time but nobody can help me out I called Sony, my cable company and they have no clue. It is a four digit code. Does anyone know? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-08, 09:03 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If I understand correctly. you are asking the recorder to send a signal to the cable box to turn itself on at a given time.
First, the recorder has a receiver which picks up it's remote, but does not have a transmitter to send a message to the cable box. To do what you want, it would not only have to tell the cable box to turn on, but also which channel you wanted to record, and for what length of time.

Leave the cable box on and set to the channel you want to record. Then the recorder can do it's thing.

Old 11-28-08, 11:56 AM
S
You seem to know what you are talking about. The recorder I have is a Sony RDR-VX560 it has an output lead that goes from the back of the recorder and is placed on the cable box close to the receiving eye with tape supplied. It has an optical output that when set to record will turn on the cable box similar to the way the remote does and also shut it down when the off time arrives. But I need to get the cable box code it appears to have a bunch of (four digit) codes and I may have to go through each one to see what one works. Thanks

Old 11-28-08, 12:04 PM
R
Some receivers have a function that comes up when you select a program from the guide. Those functions may be reminders, change channel, and record. That will send a pulse out to the recording device, which will turn on your VCR or DVR and record the show, then turn it off. I looked on the scientive atlanta site, read all the user manuals that they have for your unit, but nothing mentions about the record feature or digits to enter in for your device.

Some boxes also have codes that you can enter to program your remote. The codes to program my sat box (not scientific atlanta) remote for a scientific atlanta box is: 2638, 2639, 2647, 2648, 2650.
Sony VCR's are: 500,501,502,503,504. These are not the codes that you need, but it is there to show you what I mean. Perhaps you can explain to scientific atlanta that you need a list of device codes in order to program your box so it can transmit a signal to your DVD recorder to turn on , record, then turn off (if that function is in your scientific atlanta box).

Old 11-28-08, 12:50 PM
S
I have the list of device codes there are about 20 does this mean I have to try each one until I get to the one that works? Thanks

Old 11-28-08, 03:57 PM
R
Trial & error sounds about right unless the recorder has some kind of IR Learn function that can receive pulses from the cable box remote and store them.

My Dish receiver has a built-in IR blaster that does the same thing. As long as the glass door to the cabinet is closed the IR light from the Dish receiver reflects off the glass and into the recorder's IR sensor. It never works reliably, though.