Sony trinitron 20 no sound

Old 12-04-08, 08:05 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sony trinitron 20 no sound

I have a sony Trinitron model KV-20TS27, picture no sound.Your help will greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-08, 04:51 PM
C
Just how many tvs do you have? So far I count 2 sony,1 jvc , 1 mitsubishi, 1 rca , 1 prima and 1 dell monitor. That's 6 tv's and 1 monitor broke within 6 weeks.I have 6 tvs in my home and would have a hard time believing they would all break so close together in time.
I don't mind ,in fact, I like helping people try to save some money by doing repairs themselves.BUT! I don't like having people trying to make some cash off of other people using my FREE advice.
If I'm reading you all wrong I'm sorry.But I would like a reasonable explanation of why you have so many broken tvs at one time.

Old 12-04-08, 06:11 PM
T
What I do is pick sets out of the garbage, try and fix them, IF they cost me little or nothing to fix, i fix them. And give them to people who dont have a set of their own
Repairing old sets like I have, I cant sell them and make a profit. I can't fix them for a profit, After all a new set like the ones i have are between $100-$200, they are not LCD's or plasma's, and as you see they are old sets. Rather than just let them go in garbage, i thought i would attempt to salvage them.
At the same time i get to improve my skills at diagnosing sets

I do the same for computers, monitors, or anything electronic that is thrown out in the garbage.

Just to let you know this is NOT for profit, and I am extremely sorry this is what was convayed

I have about six sets of my own because of the price that i get them at( FREE )

Before I met you, i threw out quite a few sets that my skill level did not allow me to fix. Now that such a forum presented itself i was happy that i'd have less throwing away.

Thanking you so far for your help and hope that you will continue.
If this is posing a problem, im sorry.
As further proof that there is no profit involved, prompt replies are not necessary, but appreciated.
For example, the Prima, is still sitting there, the RCA is still sitting here, and whenever you get around to posting an answer, i'd appreciate it.
I hate to see sets that are salvagable thrown away.

The Dell monitor is still sitting here.
I just picked up an Optiquest monitor that i havent even posted yet.
I have real issues throwing stuff like this out

Old 12-04-08, 06:23 PM
C
Beer 4U2 LOL,I never thought about finding sets in the trash.I guess thats as good an explanation as one could ask for.OK,keep the questions coming and I'll help as best I can.TV repairmen are getting to be a dieing breed.

Old 12-04-08, 06:26 PM
T
Its AMAZING what people through out.
NEW WASHERS AND DRYERS, STOVES, because they want the new Front Loaders. They want the glasstop stoves.

And this all goes in the garbage.
If you can salvage it, how great.

I thank you for your quick response and your understanding.

Old 12-04-08, 06:36 PM
C
1991 model.Service manual no longer pulls up.Check the menu to make sure audio is NOT set to SAP.Don't remember if this set has speakers on/off setting in menu or just a swtch on the rear of the tv.

Old 12-04-08, 06:51 PM
T
The t.v does not have a menu and the switch in the rear is set to on.

Old 12-05-08, 02:40 AM
C
Post a picture of the chasis like you have on other sets and it may jog my memory about this set.

Old 12-05-08, 04:58 PM
T
Old 12-05-08, 05:50 PM
C
There are 2 problems that cause no sound on this set if I remember right.This do the most likely one first.
There is a silver box right next to the tuner.It has an AGC adjustment on top of it.DON"T touch this adjustment.On the side facing the tuner , there should be 3 holes , VCO , AFT , and DISCRI .You can't get to the adjustment without pulling the module out and running jumper wires from the module back to the circuit board..Make sure they are long enough to give you good access to the side of the module and don't forget to run a wire from the metal case back to the circuit board for ground.ONLY adjust the coil in the Discri hole.This is the sound discriminator coil.You must use a non-metalic tool.There is a tiny screwdriver slot in the top of the coil.Turn the coil up or down and you should start hearing sound.It should only take a couple of turns one way or the other.IF you start to get sound then set the adjustment where the sound is the loudest and then replace the module back in the circuit board.DON'T use a metal jewelers screwdriver because it will effect the adjustment.
If this does not fix it then set the coil as close as you can back to it's original position.Then we'll move to step 2.

Old 12-05-08, 07:19 PM
T
I have a serious apology to make, when I saw what was involved I thought there has to be a better way than to have to take this silver box out. So I made a tool #1, which is a manicure stick cut to about 1 cm which includes the tapered end. It actually did fit without having to take out the can. When i switched on the set, i noticed it said " SAP 3 " so i proceeded to use a remote which allowed me to change from SAP to MONO or MAIN at which point EUREKA there was sound!!!

Thanks Again, I will send you my first born

Old 12-06-08, 04:04 AM
C
LOL, I made myself a special tool also to reach it.Way back then.You sure are making me jog my memory on these sets.Good thing I been fixing tv' a long time.Ooooohhhh,that makes me as old as these sets.

Old 12-23-08, 05:53 PM
sony trinitron tv - no sound

just a short note to thank you for your help. Our TV was working one day and the next day the sound went out. I found this site and came upon the SAP advice. Grabbed the remote and hit the MTS button which controlled the SAP and lo and behold the sound came back on. I can't thank you enough!

Old 03-29-09, 02:03 AM
W
Just call me Kermit

I too cannot thank you enough for the advice I just read.

Received an old sony trinitron from my bruv and it weighs an absolute ton! Carried it in and turned on but no sound. Thought it must be some setting on the tv which i needed remote for so got a universal remote and messed about until I got it to synch. Blah blah blah.... then found this site and looked round the back of the tv and there was the darned sound switch!!
We must have knocked it when carrying the set from his to mine.

I would like to add that even though the speakers were not working the headphone socket still worked fine, this may or not help others confirm if theirs is a switch problem or not.

I feel such a muppet, especially as I fix computers for a living!

I know form my own work that it is often a simple explanation that many overlook, whilst wasting time searching for complex solutions. I am guilty.

Anyway, I joined this site just to thank you for the advice I've indirectly received from you.

Thanks a million

Kermit

Old 03-29-09, 07:44 PM
C
Thank you for replying to the post letting me know you found it helpfull.It makes for a good day feeling all day for me when someone lets me know that in helping one person on this site it keeps on giving to help others with similar problems.
I'm still aw struck that this site reaches so many people all over the world.