Mounting a 40in Sony LCD to wall

Old 12-15-08, 06:23 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mounting a 40in Sony LCD to wall

Hello,

I'm attempting to mount a 40 in Sony TV to a wall in my basement and have run into a problem. The wall is a panel wall attached to ferring strips that are then attached to the cement block exterior wall. The wall mount came with hardware for mounting either to studs with lag screws or anchors for block/brick. The lag screws are 2 in and are too long to go into the ferring strips without hitting the block.

But if I use the anchors in the block how do I account for the 1 inch gap between the block and the panel wall? I thought about getting 3 inch lag screws and using washers to make up the gap between the wall and block but I wasn't sure if this was safe. Obviously I don't want my new tv falling off the wall.

I hope my explaination made sense and any help is much appreciated.

Old 12-15-08, 04:25 PM
C
Rather than making a major mess of the wall , I would go with a tv stand or if the ceiling is ok they make mounts that drop down from the ceiling.

Old 12-15-08, 06:31 PM
Get longer anchors for block that will still fit in your mounting hardware.

fred

Old 12-15-08, 10:31 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I wouldn't try and span the gap. The TV mount should be secured directly to the concrete wall, or to a structural piece that you install on the wall.

My preference would be to cut 2x4's to fit the back of the mount. Cut holes in the wall with a circular saw to fit the 2x4s. Set the saw depth so it cuts only the paneling and the furring stips. Use concrete anchors to mount the 2x4s. (Countersink the washers & bolts.) Attach the mount to the 2x4s with wood lags. You may have to buy shorter lags than the ones that came with the mount.

The 2x4s will be mostly hidden, but you can paint or stain them to match the wall.

Old 12-16-08, 05:08 AM
B
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston
I wouldn't try and span the gap. The TV mount should be secured directly to the concrete wall, or to a structural piece that you install on the wall.

My preference would be to cut 2x4's to fit the back of the mount. Cut holes in the wall with a circular saw to fit the 2x4s. Set the saw depth so it cuts only the paneling and the furring stips. Use concrete anchors to mount the 2x4s. (Countersink the washers & bolts.) Attach the mount to the 2x4s with wood lags. You may have to buy shorter lags than the ones that came with the mount.

The 2x4s will be mostly hidden, but you can paint or stain them to match the wall.

Rick, this is exactly what I was thinking about doing last night as I contemplated my problem again. I think this would be the safest way and as you said, the 2X4's would be mostly hidden.

Would toggle bolts be best to attach the 2X4's to the block? Or will lead anchors be the way to go?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: