older dvd player to new HDtv

Old 12-26-08, 08:17 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry older dvd player to new HDtv

It's and older Apex Digital AD-1500 dvd player with only RCA connections. And it does have an S video connection too, but not used since we don't have the cable for it. I hooked it up to the new LG 47" HDtv (1080p) with the RCA cables. The input on the tv was changed to AV. The tv screen says "No Signal". Do I need to buy a new DVD player or is there any hope for this one to work?
PS.

Old 12-26-08, 11:48 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it worked with your old TV it should work with the new one. Are you sure you connected the yellow RCA output of the DVD to the yellow RCA input of the TV? Check the TV's menu again, too, with a DVD playing. The LG has several A/V Inputs.

If it's still not wokring, try a different RCA cable. (Connect the red RCAs to the yellow receptacles temporarily to see if it's a bad cable that may have been damaged when you changed over.)

BTW, you'll see a better picture with the S-video cable than you will with the yellow RCA.

You'll also hear better sound if you connect the DVD to a stereo, or better yet use the digital outputs of the DVD to feed a surround sound system (or the digital audio input of the LG).

Old 12-28-08, 11:33 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink

Thanks for your input. I tried different cables but it was still a no go. Did have sound, but no video. Then I remembered that we had another, and even older DVD player laying around. Hooked that one up and it works just fine with the new tv. One more question that would save me about 10 minutes......I hooked up the VCR and came up with a pretty lousy picture. Would using a S-video cable (which I find we do have one) improve the picture? Or should I just consider that the VCR goes with the old tv?

I'm all for new technology, but the manufacturers of these products are pretty stingy about the information that they give you. No glossary for the terminology or any useful information about the settings, and what they do, for the tv. I guess I should look at the book store for HD for Dummies.

Old 12-28-08, 11:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You won't get a better picture even with a S-Video cable. Our eyes are so used to seeing HD signals and clarity that VCR tapes look horrible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: