Need Surround Sound Help Please

Old 12-31-08, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Surround Sound Help Please

I have 3 Bose cube speakers with a Bose Sub Woofer that I have connected to a Kenwood Receiver.( Speakers connected to sub-woofer and then wires from the sub-woofer to the receiver.)
Here is my problem: Sound from the center speaker is excellent works fine. No sound from the left or right speaker. When I switch from pro-logic to stero I get sound from the right speaker and center speaker but no sound from the left speaker.
When I use the test mode for the speakers I get static from each of them when I switch from center to left to right. So I know all are working. Just not working when I play a music CD.
I'm sure this is as clear as mud.
I believe I've connected the wiring right, but who knows?
Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this problem?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-08, 08:40 PM
Are the 3 Bose speakers Left, Right, and Center?
What speaker outputs are on your amp?

As an example, this is how I wired my 5 speaker system to my amp.

The 2 front speakers to the front speaker connectors (amp).
The center speaker to the center speaker connectors (amp).
The 2 back speakers to the rear speaker connectors (amp).
I ran a line output (left & right) to my sub woofer as it has it's own amplifier. My amp doesn't have a sub speaker connectors on it, however if it did, then I would wire that to the sub woofer.

Now when you test it out, all goes from front to rear as well as the center and sub.

I am guessing that since you only have 3 speakers, and you do your test, it is only getting what you have wired it up to your amp. When the test goes to the rear, you have no speakers therefore no sound.

If anything... something to ponder.

Old 12-31-08, 09:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
I'm hazarding a guess that you have part of a Bose Acustimass system. The cube speakers have to be fed from the subwoofer. They aren't designed for direct connection to a normal speaker output:

http://products.bose.com/pdf/custome.../og_am6_10.pdf

That multi-conductor wiring harness is pretty easy to get scrambled up.

Old 01-01-09, 11:20 AM
Surround Sound Help and Speaker Set-up help.

Thanks for your 2 responses.
There are 3 cube speakers, Center, Left and Right.
On the Sub-Woofer there are connectors to attach wires that lead to each of the 3 speakers marked Left Speaker Right Speaker and Center speaker. I ran the wires just that way.
Also on the Sub-Woofer there are connectors that have wires that lead to connectors on the Receiver marked Center, Left and Right and that is how I ran those wires.
I do not have a rear speaker set-up now but there are connectors for rear speakers on the Sub-Woofer.
I wish I could upload a picture of the Rear of the Receiver. I tried finding the upload button in this system without luck.
Thanks......

Old 01-01-09, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Given that your basic test works correctly, I suspect that you are focusing on the wrong end of the wire. I think your configuration on the kenwood, or even the original audio source, is most likely your issue.

Old 01-02-09, 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
I wish I could upload a picture of the Rear of the Receiver. I tried finding the upload button in this system without luck.
Thanks......
This site doesn't allow uploads or attachments. However, you can upload your photos to a hosting site like Photobucket.com and post the direct links to the photos here.

Old 01-21-09, 03:06 PM
gerald

as I see it you have about three problems 1/ you need to connedct all your speakers to your kenwood / two go to your tv menu and turn off you speakers3/ use what ever remote that you are using to correctly connect up to your tv ie sat. or cable. after all this you should be able to control the volume with just the one remote.

Old 01-21-09, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by skislakg View Post
as I see it you have about three problems 1/ you need to connedct all your speakers to your kenwood / two go to your tv menu and turn off you speakers3/ use what ever remote that you are using to correctly connect up to your tv ie sat. or cable. after all this you should be able to control the volume with just the one remote.

Huh? ...............................