connecting direct TV to AV reciever and LCD

Old 01-03-09, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
connecting direct TV to AV reciever and LCD

I have a set up question. I have a DVD player, Yamaha RX 661 -7.1 AV reciever and a LG LCD with three HDMI connections. The DVD player is old and has no HDMI connections.

Do I connect the HDMI cable from the Direct TV box to the AV first and then to the LCD? Is the DVD player connected to the AV reciever or directly to the LCD. Eventually I will get a blu ray dvd with HDMI connections. Will this change my order of connections. Thanks, JB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 08:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can do it either way.

If you have your HDMI cable going from cable box to receiver, then to TV, you will have to have your receiver on to get a picture and sound.

Your receiver is probably able to upconvert your picture if your TV supports that, like going from 780p to 1080p, but that's not truly need at this stage.

Does your DVD player have component hookups (red/blue/green)? If so, I would have those going directly from DVD player to the TV. That would be just for picture though, and you could hook up your optical cable from DVD player to your receiver to get surround sound, or standard RCA cables for stereo sound (not surround).

Sounds confusing, doesn't it?